Post Surgery gained 20 lbs.need help getting back to loosing weight

Show_Me_Sunflower
on 8/21/18 8:55 pm - Topeka, KS

April 2015 post surgery, I got down to 240 lb. have gone up to 260 lb., my goal is to get to 170 lb. I lost my father in May 2017 and have gone back to old ways, emotional and stress eating. I need help and I need to find snacks that are low carb and have protein. I stress eat at work some days and I eat my emotions after dinner.

I have had some medical issues and currently experience some problems. I have problems with neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, and labs-HIGH PTH and low calcium. I have an appt. earliest is Nov 2 with an endocrinologist. Currently taking 6,000 vitamin D a day plus 150,000 vitamin D week in addition to my regular vitamin regimen.

Any Help would be grateful and thankful for...Thank you!!

Susan

HW 524, SW 481, CW 428, Goal 170ish

Janet P.
on 8/22/18 5:51 am

Sorry for your troubles.

Good high protein snacks are nuts, jerky, cheese, deli meat, really anything with protein. Also drink plenty of water.

You need to find out why you are an emotional/stress eat. That can be done through therapy (I'm a huge believe in therapy, which is why I suggest it - it helped me enormously).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Marquismark
on 8/22/18 10:28 am, edited 8/22/18 3:33 am
DS on 12/10/15

My hunch is you already know the answer to the first part of your question:

Less carbs.

It's usually helpful to make some clear boundaries such as: No keeping them in the house. Only eating carbs with one meal a day, no "recreational" sugar, only eat desserts when out with other people, etc.

Best snacks are jerky, nuts, cheese squares, Greek yogurt, etc

As far as neuropathy, have you had your copper and ceruloplasmin tested? Simple blood test. Copper deficiency is an underreported issue with WLS and is often mistaken for something else until it is too late.

Sounds like you need to up your D A LOT. I take 200,00/DAY. Most people seem to take about 100,000 a DAY. The 150,000 a week you're taking isn't nearly enough. Also, make sure those 6,000 your taking a day are not softgels packed in oil. Those don't work well for us. Once you increase your D, your PTH will likely drop. How much calcium are you taking? Most people take about 3,000 a day divided into about 5 doses.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Crazeru
on 8/22/18 5:57 pm

I had to up my calcium to 6x/day with 150k of D. I had to take them in the middle of the night away from all food. Brought my PTH down from 125 to 25 and my D up from 34 to almost 80. I can maintain now with 1- 50k D, and 5 doses of Calcium.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PeteA
on 8/24/18 6:22 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry about the neuropathy issues. I have hardly any feeling from the bottoms of my feet and pre-op that led to issues with ulcers. Not sure if yours is diabetes related or something else but if they can do anything I hope they do. While I'm all healed it is still a constant worry because of the loss of feeling.

SO high PTH low calcium. You didn't say how much you are taking of calcium but probably need more.
I would increase your calcium, add K2, magnesium glycinate, add a 50k Biotech once a day to start.

What level is your D at? I spent a lot of time my first 6 months post-op adding 10K here and 10k there that still left me heading down until I bit the bullet and started with a single 50k a day. That leveled me off and adding a second a day took me to high 50's low 60's and I am happy at that level.

If you are taking vitamin D in oil you are probably not getting as much help as you could. People tend to use dry formulas like biotech and nivagen to avoid having the D pass through too quickly to get max absorption.

Hope this helps a little.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 156 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 695 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views