Constipation

Princess Kath
on 9/24/18 5:40 am - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Had DS last week (Wednesday) now constipated. Very uncomfortable. I am used to going x 2 per day. What can I take? Is this normal?

Kathy from down under.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/24/18 6:32 am

I would try enema first. To start going ... Most DS eat high fat - adding fat to what they eat/drink. As far as I know, that helps most people with DS.

I use magnesium and miralax. Plus I need to drink lots of water/liquids for that to work. Dyhadration may cause people to be constipated. For magnesium and miralax to work I drink 100-120 oz of liquids per day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Princess Kath
on 9/24/18 7:33 pm - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Thank you.

chevtow41
on 9/24/18 6:40 am
DS on 11/11/14

Unusual because typically people are only ingesting liquids at this point - liquids in = liquids out.

How much fluid are you drinking daily? Need at least 64oz (very minimum). Are you eating anything yet?

Princess Kath
on 9/24/18 7:33 pm - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Probably not drinking enough. Thank you.

Janet P.
on 9/24/18 8:47 am

Kathy - constipation can be caused by pain medication. Were you prescribed something following surgery that you're still taking? Since you're so early out from your DS try using an enema first. Check with your doctor before you start taking something orally.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Princess Kath
on 9/24/18 7:36 pm - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Thanks I have been on pain meds so that is probably the reason plus not enough water. I should know better as I am a RN and have had VSG 13 years ago. That's why I like these forums, helps to remind me.

Valerie G.
on 9/30/18 5:47 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Only two doses of pain meds will constipate me for 2 or 3 days. Kick those, drink and fat, and drink some more.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CamCake
on 9/24/18 7:52 pm

Hey Kathy I am 5 weeks out and was suffer with constipation really bad until my nurse suggest a cup of warm prune juice every night I have been having a bowel movement 2 a day now no problem hope this help

Princess Kath
on 9/25/18 7:18 am - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Thank you so much. Will get some tomorrow

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views