Bathroom Odor concerns at work

labaker73
on 10/5/18 5:43 pm
DS on 12/26/17

I am about 10 months out from my DS and feeling good, but I have had an issue with very stinky bowel movements since right after the surgery. Over the past several months, I have tried eating different things and eliminating things then reintroducing things back one at a time, but nothing seems to work. It hasn't been that big of a deal until about a month ago when I got a new job. I now work in a smaller school that has 6th-12th grades. The problem is that there is not a dedicated staff bathroom, so I use the same one as the students which is in the main hallway. Sometimes when I go the smell takes over the bathroom and goes out into the hall. The students have said things and the staff have checked to make sure the plumbing was working. I started using Poo-pourie and while it does help some, it doesn't make a big enough difference. I started taking pocket Lysol to spray, but even the combination doesn't do the trick either. I am so incredibly embarrassed and I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eliza970
on 10/6/18 7:38 am

I have been there. You can try a courtesy flush, which involves a flush while you are in the act and then as many times as the toilet lets you. At the end, keep flushing, because one flush is not enough. Use Poopourie before you sit down and again as you get up. For me, the smell is worse if I eat any carbs as well as any processed food. If there is toilet lid, close it. Breakfast sandwiches without the bread, but with processed eggs caused problems later at work, but real scrambled eggs did not. The only yogurt brand I could eat without smells later is Fage, the others have food starch or other indigestible ingredients. The other thing that helps is to wake up earlier, and do it at home. I used to wake up at 7, but waking up at 6 am makes it more likely I won't have to go at work. If things aren't moving, I have to thank the DSer who told me about the rectal douche. It's a low enema, with warm water, so you can leave home on time. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flex-Tip-Cleansing-Silicone-Enema -Bulb. I don't use it every day, but it's been a lifesaver when I have to leave on an early morning car trip. Smells do get better over time, maybe because you learn more about what you can eat. There was a time early on when I ate only chicken breast for breakfast and sometimes lunch, because I knew I would be safe a few hours later.

Valerie G.
on 10/7/18 1:30 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sounds like you need some more fermented (probiotic) foods in your diet. Some do pills for probiotics, but I get such a faster effect (for a change) by food. My two best contributors are kefir and raw apple-cider vinegar (ACV). Either of these will give me changes within a day or two in the stool texture and odor, and most gas goes away, too.

We do have a tendency of getting bacteria imbalances, so eating plenty of fermented foods gives plenty of good bacteria to balance out the bad that is trying to party in your pants.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/18 10:00 pm
Janet P.
on 10/8/18 10:51 am

I've had some success with Devrom (internal deoderant). I take 2 pills 3 times a day. Doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Lots of courtesy flushes :)

I use Ozium, which seems to work better than most commercial things like Lysol or Febreeze.

I've learned trigger foods (unfortunately those foods are usually different for everyone) and try to avoid them at work. Fortunately where I work, if necessarily, I can go to a bathroom and no one I work with uses.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Noodle65
on 10/8/18 4:11 pm
DS on 10/18/12

I use VIPOO, works well. I agree with others that staying on schedule is so important. I spend 3 to 4 weeks in Europe every summer and it's amazing how quickly my body compensates for the 8 hour time difference.

I have had to add about 20 minutes into my morning routine in order to empty completely before heading to work.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/11/18 6:15 pm

Bacterial overgrowth in intestine can cause the nasty smell and gas.

To avoid too much gas, have you tried to follow a low FODMAP diet?

Google that. Plus good probiotics. And combination of them.

I don't have a DS, but I deal with SIBO, and when I ate foods high in fiber or other food high in FODMAP - I would get in extreme pain due to gas in my insides.

Any grains, beans, some nuts, sugar alcohol, any high fiber food, most raw fruits, most vegetables - specially raw, would cause gas

that was trapped in my small intestine.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-fodmap-diet#section 2

BTW - even small amount of dried onion and garlic in a spice mix could trigger gas. Chewing gum? Forget it. Some chewable multivitamins has sugar alcohol, so I had to get rid of thst, and just take a generic multi.

Good combination of probiotics also helped with digestion. And limited the gas volume and smell.

Now I eat some veggies and fruits. But I know 1/3 of a slice of pizza my guy had, and tomorrow should be interesting.

My typical diet is meat and very well cooked vegetables (only some of them,) plus fats.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LosingSally
on 10/21/18 8:51 pm, edited 10/21/18 1:52 pm

You know, I had a RNY pouch with a short common channel usually done for a DS.

Through the years, I've seen many new post ops ask about foul toilet odors, and most answers were pretty much that it was the post ops fault.

Meaning you are supposed to find a method to control that. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible. The suggestions to wake up earlier may be the best one. If you can't eat healthy foods due to gas and foul odor of stools, then maintaining good labs will be even harder.

It's been 13 years for me. The vitamin and mineral issues are ongoing. I have always taken supplements and pushed protein first. Hasn't prevented anemia, B12 deficiency, low calcium, albumin tanking, D in the basement , and general blood issues. The newest is low copper.

The stench in the toilet is as foul as ever. I eat fermented foods daily, and take probiotics daily. I avoid sugar and simple carbs, and many vegetables. Some days I go 4-5 times between 5 to 6 am, and can then start my day. Sometimes things decide to move midmorning, and I have to deal with it. I own my own business and have a personal bathroom with an extra heavy duty exhaust fan. I use VIPOO, POOPOURI, and all manner of drops and sprays. I have learned to live with whatever comes. But I haven't discovered an answer that really helps.

I would have to say that those fellow travelers on this journey who have assured me that it isn't just me, have helped more than I can say. I will also try the "douche " mentioned, and see if that helps. But since I go several times, not just once, I'm not sure of the benefit.

I wish you the best, and if you find any solution, let us know!

labaker73
on 10/25/18 6:47 pm
DS on 12/26/17

Thank you all for your stories, compassion, and advice. I have tried several of the things you mentioned. I am taking probiotics, which helps with regularity, but not with the smell. I am eating more yogurt and raw apple cider vinegar (and apples), which helps sometimes. So far what helps the most is a combination of is a combination of Devrom a few times a day, Poo Pourie, lots of courtesy flushes, and bathroom spay after the fact. Its still not great, but its better. I guess I'll continue to play with my diet and try anything new that is suggested and see what happens. Again, thanks everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 250 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 734 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views