Five Days Post Op

Glendapv
on 10/22/18 5:36 pm
Revision on 10/17/18

I'm five days out from my surgery (10/17/18), which was originally planned to be outpatient. Because of complications I was sent by ambulance to the Atlanta Medical Center for the night. My understanding is my tissue and blood absorbed too much carbon dioxide and they had a hard time getting me to breathe through it, so I woke up in a panicked state in the ambulance. Somewhat of a blessing I suppose because I was very well cared for all night!! My concern is the feeling I have in the top of my stomach. I feel without sounding ridiculous like its so restricted water gets stuck. Lol Is this a normal feeling? I also get this anxious feeling, that could be in my head, because I fear the worst. But none the less that panicky feeling is there. I must be getting some sleep but for the most part I feel like I'm awake all night catching little winks. Any input as far as anyone else's experience would be appreciated. My oxygen levels are in the 90's.

PeteA
on 10/23/18 5:34 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It's normal post-op to only be able to do little sips of water at a time. You need to remember to keep on taking those sips all day because dehydration can be a real problem if you don'****ch.

Really they planned your DS as an outpatient procedure? Sounds potentially dangerous although most people are out in 2 or 3 days.

You might try something warm like broth to see if that goes down easier. I had an easier time with warm liquids post-op then I did with regular temp or cold liquids.

You had major surgery. It is OK to question everything that you are feeling and wonder if something is going wrong. Not sure what you have for followup but you shouldn't worry about reaching out to the surgeon or the hospital if you wait a little while and the problem doesn't seem to get better.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 10/23/18 6:18 am

Glad you're doing OK. I agree with Pete - I can't believe they did your full DS as an outpatient (I was in the hospital 4 nights).

Just keep trying to sip. That's the most important thing for you right now. Remember you just had major surgery and everything is going to feel different. As long as you're not in "pain", I would say try to relax and take everything one day (or even one hour) at a time.

Listen to your body. If it's the middle of the day and you're tired, sleep.

If you have ANY concerns, you should call your surgeon.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Glendapv
on 10/23/18 8:40 am
Revision on 10/17/18

I agree, for me personally, I feel like I should have been in the hospital several days. My surgery was actually at a "surgical center" in his downstairs office. I know my surgeon is considered to be awesome, but having had the surgery now I do think a couple nights in the hospital would have been beneficial. I really felt abandoned after coming home. Between the pain, the unfamiliar feelings and what I feel like may be withdrawals from my cymbalta (for fibromyalgia) I just can't find a comfort level. I feel like my anxiety is through the roof and I've never had an issue with anxiety before. If anyone asked me today do I regret having the surgery....hands down without a doubt yes.

Valerie G.
on 10/26/18 10:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Who was your surgeon? I didn't think any were left in the Atlanta area that did DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Glendapv
on 10/26/18 12:27 pm
Revision on 10/17/18

Dr. Titus Duncan

Valerie G.
on 11/1/18 9:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've not heard of this surgeon ever doing DS, but there used to be two DS surgeons in the area that have relocated, so there's a chance he was trained by one of them. Your surgical report can tell for sure what exactly you had, but either way here you are. Best wishes that you are soon on the mend and able to enjoy the exciting changes you're about to experience.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laura in Texas
on 10/27/18 10:31 am

Your profile said you had a revision. What was your original surgery? Are you sure you got a DS? Your surgeon's website does not list DS as a surgery he performs.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 81 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views
Need help for my mom