Average % of excess weight lost?

mrsrcovington
on 10/28/18 10:16 am
DS on 12/01/18

I'm going to get the ds done but I haven't scheduled the surgery yet, I'm coming up on my last pre-op weigh-in apt. I have a question. They say 70% is a normal amount loss, but I have seen lots of papers saying more like 100%. In your guy's findings (grape vine talk) what is the real normal? Or am I just pipe dreaming of an ultimate goal weight.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/28/18 5:59 pm
With the traditional DS, if you follow the DS "diet" most people can get to their goal weight or within 10 to 15 lbs.

Scott
mrsrcovington
on 10/28/18 6:19 pm
DS on 12/01/18

Thank you. I just want to be at a "healthy" BMI. I'm 380 right now. They said I would be 203 but more than likely 180 but a normal bmi for my height is 150. So IDK what my goal really should be yea know?

Eliza970
on 10/28/18 6:46 pm

Your post-op weight will never reflect the weight of a never-fat person, because of the extra skin. I've used clothing size more than weight and being in the single digits was my idea of success. I've achieved that post DS, and I have gone up and down 15 pounds over the years. Now, I'm single digits again. I can't speak to the success of SIPS/SADI-S/Loop DS/ LDJB-S/SADJB-S, or one of the various forms of mini-DS, because I have a Hess DS. Make sure you know which procedure you are getting.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/18 7:28 pm
mrsrcovington
on 10/28/18 7:59 pm
DS on 12/01/18

thank you guys you give me better prospective. I don't know what I would do with myself in single # lol I haven't been that small since 5th grade.. . Sometimes it all seems like a pipe dream. I will find out which he does... It is in my paperwork I believe. Good thing I go back to my last month weigh_ in in a week because I have questions for them now.

Liz J.
on 10/29/18 12:17 pm
DS on 11/29/16

So I was a bit bigger than you are and I learned a bunch of stuff before surgery to now what I wanted. Then after when I stalled hard, I learned how to eat to loss more weight. If I just lost 70% = 214, 80% = 187, 90% = 161 but currently I'm at 92% 155 (actually I'm a little less ). This is with me working on maintenance for the last 7 weeks. I know I can still lose and I'm almost 2 years out but I'm really comfortable where I at and maintenance has been supper easy.

I still:

1) track & weigh everything I eat

2) protein first

3) 5-6 small meals a day

4) Don't over eat or eat slider food.

5) take my vitamins and drink my water

6) I weight myself daily right now. I bounce around from 153-156.

If/when I hit 157 I will go back into weight-loss mode until back below goal.

It's a tool and learning how to use it is important. I'll be honest, with the help of veterans I've surpassed my surgeons 3 & 5 year goal weights.

I'm going to stay at my current weight until 1/5/19 and then evaluate what I want to do.

I hope your journey goes well, you are in the right place!

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

PattyL
on 10/29/18 1:15 pm

DS results are a bell curve. No way to tell where you will fall in advance. Lose as much as possible as fast as possible to avoid running out of window before you run out of fat! Don't even think about looking for ways to stop losing unless your BMI actually gets low. Lose more than you want because almost everyone has some regain!

Lisaann68
on 10/29/18 8:26 pm

I am almost 10 years out. My D'S was a revision from a failed VBG ( old fashion stomach stapling). I have been at 100% loss since my initial loss. I got up to 150 at one point, but it only lasted about a year. I have no idea why the gain, or the loss back to 130. But I've been back at 130 most of the entire time!

Congratulations on choosing the D'S! For me, it was the best decision, and I am grateful every day!!!

PeteA
on 10/30/18 6:49 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Never quite got to a normal BMI but 464 to 225 at 6:1 I'm pretty happy with the results.

I agree to try and maximize your first 18 to 24 months. A lot of people see a 15 to 20 lb bounce back at some point after they seem to reach their low point. It never happened to me. I've never done the math but I think I am about 90% excess wight loss.

People have all kinds of results but DS type surgeries do seem to offer the best long term solution and the most weight lost, all you can do is use the tools you are given and lean into the strengths of the surgery.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 171 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 701 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views