Plateaus

TiffanyDG
on 11/4/18 10:46 am
DS on 09/25/18

When did you first start experiencing stalls and how did you break through to start moving down again?

I am ~6 weeks post surgery (8 weeks since pre-op diet) and down 33lbs. I have been hovering around the same few pounds for 2 weeks after changing to high protein/fat diet. I am eating a lot more calories with the high fat/low carb (ex. deli meats, mayo, cheese, refried beans, burger patties, avocado and nuts) and continue with 30gr protein shake in the morning. I am not perfect with my daily liquids - but trying. Have I made a mistake switching to high fat so soon after surgery?

I am a 13yr lapband - revised to DS with a 150cm CC - so learning to eat again. Wishing I still had the post surgery 'no hunger' honeymoon - but it is GONE.

Thoughts?

PattyL
on 11/4/18 1:54 pm

Sounds like you are eating well and doing great. Now it's time to lose weight. Put the hammer down and eat less than 20 or so carbs per day till you are 10% below goal. And look up how many carbs are in those beans too. Track carbs/sugar and grams of protein. Forget the rest of it!

Stalls at your point are pretty common. Don't worry about it. It's temporary.

And start doing what you can to increase your activity level as well. Walking is good! Your goal should be to do more today than you did yesterday.

Janet P.
on 11/5/18 6:22 am

At 6 weeks post-op you should be getting 45-60 grams of protein per day (30/60/90 rule). Don't worry about calories. Focus on protein and carbs (less than 20 grams of carbs). You have to get in at least 64 ounces of water per day (that's a minimum). Balance is the hardest thing to figure out at this stage. Don't focus on "high" fat, just make sure you get enough fat (in my opinion) - meaning don't eat anything that fat free or low fat.

Patience is the hardest thing to learn post-op DS :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 11/5/18 7:49 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm a little surprised you can handle high fat this early. The first couple of months while I didn't have much room for anything except protein, extra fat would always send me to the bathroom.

I have never done high fat. The most I've done is actively avoid anything labeled low fat and stopped putting any effort into lean meats.

My experience with stalls is that it just takes time. Sometimes it is like your body just needs to adjust. Have you been taking measurements? (Waist, neck, thighs, arms?) A lot of times people see changes there when they are not seeing it on the scale.

It is very frustrating early out to be in a stall. I adopted my attitude about just eating into the DS strengths and waiting it out after trying a bunch of things to break them. (Krispy Kreme donut, high fat day, etc) while i enjoyed the break they gave me in my schedule I can't really say any of it helped.

Push the liquids though that will help. You might post total protein, carbs, and fats for an average day and maybe a sample days menu. People might have some helpful ideas.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Eliza970
on 11/5/18 7:51 am

If you are fighting hunger, eat more often. I have 6-7 "meals" a day. Very small. Toddler size. Mostly protein, some vegetables and very few carbs (I am 13+ years out). I don't like protein drinks because they don't satisfy hunger and I feel better with real food. Don't worry so much about fat, look for any sugar or sugar substitutes. Weight loss killers for me. Weight loss post surgery is more like a staircase than a slide. I think your food choices are fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views