Ferritin Iron/Infusions

Fire_Ice
on 11/30/18 12:27 am
DS on 10/25/17

Thanks to those who gave me advice about my anemia. I met with a hematologist today and in part thanks to your tips, we discovered that my ferritin iron level is 9. He wanted to do an iron infusion ASAP, but apparently my insurance company has a specific clause that they will not pay for iron infusions for anyone who has had WLS.

My doctor is now recommending that I go to an ER and get a blood transfusion (!). Is that temporary? Does it fix things?

And if anyone has done the infusions, do you know what they typically cost?

I'm so tired of being tired and worn out, totally lacking in energy, unable to sleep, light headed and generally weak. Any suggestions for something that might help? My hematologist seems to think that there's nothing I can ingest that will help.

Liz J.
on 11/30/18 7:38 am
DS on 11/29/16

I'm so sorry you're not doing well! Hope someone comes and gives you the information you need.

What are you taking right now for iron? Are you taking it with vitamin C to help with absorption?

Also, I needed an infusions and changed my iron type, adding the vitamin C and tripled up my dose. I also took it an hour away from any other medication and dairy. I was even getting up in the middle of night to take the third dose.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Janet P.
on 11/30/18 11:32 am

So sorry to hear about your insurance issues. Can you protest their clause. I honestly don't know if the blood transfusion will do the same thing as an Iron infusion - that's a question for the doctor.

I had two infusions in April 2017. The infusion clinic billed almost $1500 per infusion. My out of pocket was a couple of hundred for each infusion.

I didn't have any success with oral iron but you might want to look at liquid iron to see if that is better absorbed. Hope you find some relief.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 11/30/18 8:17 pm
DS on 10/25/17

The insurance agreed to pay for two treatments after I was able to show them my anemia predated my WLS. The WLS has exacerbated it, but it didn't cause it.

I already feel better. It's not a huge difference but I do feel more human and more like myself.

Janet P.
on 12/2/18 5:37 am

Great news!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views