Iron Deficient Anemia

Jill S.
on 12/13/18 7:05 am - St. Louis, MO

Hello all, need a little info from those who have battled IDA. I'm in the process of trying to bring my iron levels up to normal. I had 2 infusions done at the end of September. Prior to the infusions my levels were as follows:

Ferritin - 5.8

Iron - 8

Hemoglobin - 9.1

RDW - 19.8

MCV - 65.0

MCH - 18.6

MCHC - 28.7

Essentially Hypochromic Mycrocytic Anemia

Now 3 months post infusions my levels are:

Ferritin - 113.2 (Great!)

Iron - 34 (Low)

Hemoglobin - 14.9 (Normal)

RDW - 17.2 (still too high)

MCV - 82.5 (low normal)

MCH - 27.4 (low normal)

MCHC - 33.3 (Normal)

and my Iron saturation level is only 10%.

So though my ferritin level is the best it's been since probably 2009, I still have several other levels normally associated with IDA out of whack.

I have started taking NoveFerrum125 so I'm hoping that will help. Anyone have any similar experience? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jill

Jill S.

BPD/DS - 04/14/2004

Janet P.
on 12/14/18 9:56 am

Jill - I never had any luck with oral iron. Nothing would bring my numbers up. My lowest ferritin was 3 and it took many months of infusions to get it in a normal range, but then after a while it would start to tank again. I've had various infusion drugs over the years and most didn't last very long. That is until the last one. Last April (April 2017) I had two infusions of a new drug called Injectefer. Before the infusion my ferritin was 16 and after the two infusions is was about 230. I just had labs done a couple of weeks ago (18 months after the infusions) and my ferritin was still over 200. I'm over the moon. My hematologist explained that Injectefer was developed specifically for people who couldn't absorb oral iron. He also told me not to even bother taking oral iron, since I obviously don't absorb. Sorry I can't help you with the other numbers, as I've also had good numbers except for my ferritin (as it relates to iron).

Are you working with a hematologist who understands malabsorption. I found that was the key for me. I remember when I first met my hema, he wasn't necessarily familiar with the DS but had other RNY patients so he got it.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views