VSG to DS

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/19 9:31 pm, edited 5/5/21 1:17 pm
VSG on 01/22/15

Anyone

larra
on 1/21/19 5:12 pm - bay area, CA

The DS and VSG have the sleeve in common, but because of the malabsorption and metabolic improvements of the DS, the post-op diet is very different. We still need to limit carbs, but need to emphasize protein, and can eat fat freely. We also need more vitamin and mineral supplementation.

It's well worth it - the Ds has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss, and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. Also, being able to eat fat allows us to eat all forms of protein, not just lean protein, and use all sorts of cooking methods. We are seeing more people all the time wanting to revise from VSG to DS, as so many struggle with regain after the sleeve stretches out after a few years. You are not alone, and you have not failed, an inadequate operation failed you. More info in a pm so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/19 1:12 am, edited 1/21/19 5:13 pm
VSG on 01/22/15
Sunkissedsgrho
on 2/19/19 8:15 am - LA

Hi. I'm also working to revise from the VSG to the DS, and I have so many questions. I see a lot of good, but I'm more worried about the bad. I hear and see so much about bad gas and umm... other issues.... Can you shed some light on these areas?

larra
on 2/19/19 8:56 am - bay area, CA

People often come to this forum and others only when they are having a problem and seeking information and help. So, sometimes the "bad" gets more press than the good. In reality, most of us live very happily and successfully with the DS. You also need to consider the negatives of what you are living with now - being MO and all that means every day of your life, maybe also living with miserable and potentially deadly comorbidities like type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.

We see new people wanting to revise from VSG to DS all the time. Early results are good (for most people) with VSG, long term, some are successful, a lot are not. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss (a big problem with VSG) and also for permanent resolution or maximum improvement of almost all comorbidities. You have the good fortune to be in the LA area, and thus close to Dr. Keshishian, who is one of the best DS surgeons in the country. A consult with him would be a great way to learn more about the DS and ask any questions about the possible negatives, and a consult doesn't commit you to anything.

More info coming to you in a pm, so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

jndrake
on 1/21/19 6:40 pm, edited 1/21/19 10:41 am - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Hi I had the DS after having the VSG. I had my I had the VSG about 5 years ago and then the DS about a year and a half ago and have lost the 100 lbs the VSG could not help me get to. I loved the DS and wouldn't change a thing. Eating low carb, and high protein is enjoyable and not having to obsess over calories is amazing for the first time in my life.

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/19 1:14 am
VSG on 01/22/15
Janet P.
on 1/23/19 10:20 am

Completely different because of the malabsorption. You'll take more vitamins (and require dedication and regular labs), you'll eat a high protein, lower carb diet. Lots of water. You may have issues with sugar (carbs) causing gas and bloating (that you didn't have without the switch).

The trickiest is the balance of vitamins - you're not absorbing everything you take in, so it's finding the right amount of (anything) - calcium, iron, etc. Hence the dedication.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/19 4:27 am
VSG on 01/22/15
VeronicaJ5
on 1/23/19 1:10 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16

I had the sleeve done in 2012 lost 50 pounds gained it back and had a revision to the DS in 2016, best thing I have ever done. I went from 310 pounds I'm down to 190. I eat what I want which is generally a lot of meat ,seafood and cheese. I still like my carbs which is why I weigh 190 and not less yet, however the weight still gradually falls off because of the surgery. The vitamin intake isn't really all that much more complicated than anything else. You find out what you have to take as far as amount goes(e.g. vitamin A 30,000 IU a day was recommended for me I have found "dry" capsules or pills for my vitamins)

310/190/170
sw/cw/gw
"I don't cry over spilled milk because I'm lactose intolerant"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views