Lessons Learned after 1

Eliza970
on 2/6/19 10:22 am, edited 2/6/19 10:49 am

On the occasion of my 13 year anniversary from a February 6 surgery in 2005, these are the things I've learned. (Warning, this is long and you can skip to the end.)

1. DS meant the end of a lifelong cycle of relentless weight gain and loss. I've stayed within 20 lbs of my lowest weight and have happily landed at 10 pounds over my lowest weight, which was too low. I can buy clothes and wear them year after year because I am in the same size. I lost half of my preop weight and stay at size 8-10.
  2. The side effects of the surgery have been significant at times. Most days are great, but there are a handful of days over the years when I have had fecal incontinence, and relatively frequent episodes of putrid flatulence in the first 5 years after surgery, even with very careful eating. It is much better now, and i fart no more than the average person and it doesn't pollute the room. I use Imodium prophylactically when I am in a situation that might produce incontinence, and before situations where farting would be too embarrassing, like church, a job interview, or a wedding.
  3. The health effects have been mostly good, with a few exceptions. Getting rid of diabetes, hypertension and joint pain is a blessing that probably saved my life. But I've broken two bones and have osteopenia, and have reactive hypoglycemia. The iron deficiency anemia has led to 5 iron infusions over the years. On balance, I am much healthier. My sister has colon cancer and when I had a colonoscopy, the doctor said I had a dramatically lower risk of colon or breast cancer because of the weight loss.
  4. My diet is healthier, not because I feel like I am dieting, but because the foods I enjoy have changed. I am naturally on a keto diet, and I eat cookies now and then, cake at birthday parties, and candy once in a while. I don't feel deprived. I eat less than the average person, but I eat more often. I am not hungry all the time, as I was when I was fat.
  5. Because I was warned of the risks, I am compulsive about my supplements and blood tests and haven't had problems with deficiencies, except iron.
  6. Postop life is expensive. The supplements are probably $650/year, the grocery basket with mostly meat and dairy is expensive, and the infusions are quite costly. I am grateful for good insurance for the cost of those and the blood tests.
  7. I wish I had done DS before 2005 so I didn't embarrass my then-teenage son, suffered the low self esteem of obesity discrimination, and missed out on a lot of fun swimming, at amusement parks, skiiing and horseback riding, among others.
  8. I think I look better than I would have if I had stayed fat, but I look older than my age. I definitely have more wrinkles, sagging skin, drier skin and dry, thinning hair than my sister that is roughly my age.
  9. I absolutely love my DS and it has changed my life for the better.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps someone plan for the future.

Liz J.
on 2/6/19 10:45 am
DS on 11/29/16

Congrats on 13 years! Woot! Happy to hear the side affects might slow down!

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Janet P.
on 2/7/19 8:40 am

Congrats Elisa. I agree with many of the things you've said. I'm 16 years post-op and have many of the same issues you have dealt with over the years.

Have you had any treatments for your osteo. I've done Reclast which didn't really work, so now I'm going to try Prolia. Sorry you've had some broken bones. That's my biggest fear.

But #9 is spot on - love my DS and it has definitely changed my life for the better too.

Continued success.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Eliza970
on 2/7/19 9:51 am

So good to know other long termers have had a similar path! I have insurance, but it won't pay for PRolia. I have upped my dose of vitamin K2 and I am taking a new supplement that has had some experimental success for old bones, pyrroloquinoline quinone (PPQ), but I just started that. My fractures healed well and they said the bone hasn't reached osteoporosis yet. Estrogen is supposed to be the most natural way to improve old bones, so I am going to ask for it at the next visit. Will do another bone density test this fall to see if these steps have helped. Continued success to you too!

PeteA
on 2/8/19 1:40 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Bravo!

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

down_400lbs
on 2/11/19 6:40 pm

I am 33, almost 10 years post op and right there with you on the osteopenia. I am severely anemic and see a hematologist every 6 months right now. My vitamin D was actually toxic at last check, so I've back off for now.

And wrinkles... holy macaroni! I look like I am 45!

Dannielle

33. Wife. Mama to furbabies!

HW: 650+ GW: 300 CW: 250

9.5 years post-op DS.

5 reconstructive surgeries

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/19 5:51 pm
down_400lbs
on 2/13/19 3:50 am
On February 13, 2019 at 1:51 AM Pacific Time, jmm1234 wrote:

Hey, hey hey, what's with all the hating on forty-something. My goal is to look like I'm 45. :)

I'm only 33! Lol. I'm not ready to look like I am in my 40's yet. ??

Dannielle

33. Wife. Mama to furbabies!

HW: 650+ GW: 300 CW: 250

9.5 years post-op DS.

5 reconstructive surgeries

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/19 7:17 pm
ankarew
on 2/11/19 9:25 pm

Congratulations on your 13 year DS anniversary! What a phenomenal journey you've had.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views