RNY to DS in Arizona

CristyA
on 2/26/19 7:04 am

Does anybody know of an experienced and respected surgeon in AZ that can do an RNY to DS revision? I have found a couple of surgeons in CA and I can drive out there is they will see me but I have 2 daughters that are young so I would love to find a doctor that is here in Phoenix or at least a bit closer than California. Thanks!

If you have any advise for me about insurance, I would also appreciate that. I have Aetna PPO.

Kathy S.
on 2/26/19 10:17 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello Christy,

I have a call into Dr. Schuster's office to see if he does the revision you are looking for. As soon as I hear from them I will let you know. Check your email, info on the way

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Melinda P.
on 3/17/21 9:54 am - Scottsdale, AZ

Hi Kathy,

Any updates on this thread about Dr Schuster or others in the metro Phoenix area who specialize in revision from RNY to traditional DS?

larra
on 2/26/19 10:25 am - bay area, CA

Revision of RNY to DS is a complicated and high risk operation. It requires taking apart the old RNY, restoring the original anatomy, and then performing the DS. It should only be done by a very experienced DS surgeon, not someone who does the DS every now and then, and not someone unfamiliar with this specific revision (not just revisions in general). With a less experienced RNY to DS revision surgeon, the risks escalate. There is no one in AZ that I would recommend for this specific revision.

The surgeons in CA - I would guess you are referring to Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Keshishian in Pasadena - are two of your best possible choices for this operation. I hope you won't let the extra distance affect your decision.

And, to the person who answered your post earlier, I have never heard of a Dr. Schuster in AZ as a DS surgeon at all, let alone as someone who does this difficult revision. That's not to say he's never done a DS, I wouldn't know, but he definitely isn't know for this revision. I recommend you also contact the surgeons in CA.

Larra

Wopsrfun
on 3/29/19 4:06 pm

I have the revision to the DS surgery in Salt Lake City at St. Mark's Hospital. The doctor there that did my surgery is excellent and I've had my surgery for six years and have never had a problem.

Janet P.
on 2/26/19 10:50 am

I agree with Larra 100%. This is a complicated surgery and the two surgeons in CA are experts. Not sure if Kathy may have other information.

You need to specifically ask your insurance company about coverage. Every policy is different. Did they pay for your RNY? Some policies are limited to 1 procedure in a lifetime. Only Aetna can answer your questions.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

CristyA
on 2/27/19 8:31 am

Update: I verified the surgery is covered by my insurance (there is no exclusion). I have found a doctor in my network. Unfortunately, the doctors in CA are not in the network. The one I found is Dr. Simper in UT but I can't find much information/reviews for his RNY-DS revision work.

larra
on 2/27/19 9:51 am - bay area, CA

You're in luck. Dr. Simper does do RNY to DS revisions and has an excellent reputation. Some travel for you, but well worth the effort.

Larra

CristyA
on 2/27/19 2:19 pm

His office said he is no longer doing those surgeries because he is retiring. He won't even see me because my original surgery was done in Mexico.

Wopsrfun
on 3/29/19 9:07 am

He did my surgery and I've had my revision for 6 years and have never had a problem.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 82 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views