VSG to DS Loop - Never thought I would here :(

Sgas5330
on 3/17/19 9:02 pm
Revision on 04/08/19

Hello All - In 2009 I had VSG and lost 200 pounds from 425 to 225 in about 13 months... after the initial year with the proper diet and exercise I settled in around 240 pounds and was very happy....I kept it off until 2013 and that's when I went through many difficult personal challenges and stop taking care of myself. I have regained about 30 pounds per year and now Im at 380 LBS. I have decided to do a self pay DS Loop with my original surgeon in about 4 weeks. Im excited yet terrified of failure again and complications with my body and mind. I have found it hard to find facts on projected weight loss and long term success going VSG to DS Loop ? He will also be re doing my sleeve as well. Any advice, thoughts, support, weight loss projections would be very helpful. I know that all of this has been asked before but I really appreciate the support, Thank You

Liz J.
on 3/18/19 8:20 am
DS on 11/29/16

Why the Loop of a standard DS?

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

larra
on 3/18/19 9:15 am - bay area, CA

You aren't going to be able to find good long term statistics on loop DS (aka SADI/aka SIPS) results because it isn't a standard of care bariatric surgery. It isn't accepted by the AMSBS, and isn't covered in any insurance policy I've ever seen. So, what most surgeons doing it do is use the code for a standard of care DS, which is NOT a loop, and which contains specific language that would preclude it being used as a code for a loop. Eventually, the insurers are going to catch on to this, some already have, and refuse coverage. In the meantime, the code will continue to be misused.

Well, that doesn't help you much, except to say that you would be wise to consult with a surgeon who does a real, standard of care DS, which does have well documented statistics that demonstrate the best long term results of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss and for maintenance of that weight loss. Especially given your struggles with one operation, why go for something with unproven long term results when you can have the operation with the best results and a surgeon who is being honest with your insurer?

We've seen people here with good results with loop DS. We've seen others with miserable results - something I've never seen with a real DS. It's up to you whether to take your chances on something unproven, or to go to the extra trouble of consulting with a real DS surgeon. IMHO it's well worth the extra effort.

Larra

hollykim
on 3/18/19 7:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 18, 2019 at 4:02 AM Pacific Time, Sgas5330 wrote:

Hello All - In 2009 I had VSG and lost 200 pounds from 425 to 225 in about 13 months... after the initial year with the proper diet and exercise I settled in around 240 pounds and was very happy....I kept it off until 2013 and that's when I went through many difficult personal challenges and stop taking care of myself. I have regained about 30 pounds per year and now Im at 380 LBS. I have decided to do a self pay DS Loop with my original surgeon in about 4 weeks. Im excited yet terrified of failure again and complications with my body and mind. I have found it hard to find facts on projected weight loss and long term success going VSG to DS Loop ? He will also be re doing my sleeve as well. Any advice, thoughts, support, weight loss projections would be very helpful. I know that all of this has been asked before but I really appreciate the support, Thank You

I agree with Larra.

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/19 5:40 pm

Congratulations on the original success you had, and the future success coming your way. This board is almost exclusively people who had the Hess DS so you won't find much objectivity or encouragement on the Loop DS.

I had it done almost 5 years ago and from what I can tell it's almost identical for weight loss. In my case I lost more that expected and maintain about 10% below my original goal weight.

Your experience will depend more on the quality of your doctor and your specific biome. I eat about 3k calories and 300 grams of carbs daily but my system processes it well. I don't think the DS vs loop DS matters as much as your specific biology.

Good luck!

Sgas5330
on 3/22/19 6:03 pm
Revision on 04/08/19

Thank you

MLC45
on 3/23/19 5:32 am

I'm not very familiar with the DS Loop, but I am familiar with the discouragement regain weight can bring. Life will always bring you challenges and struggles. So as one who's been there, my advise to you is remember what you did to get where you are today, learn from your past mistakes and work very hard not to repeat them. The best of luck to you and your up coming surgery.

Valerie G.
on 3/25/19 6:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you want this next surgery to be your last surgery, I suggest you talk to a real DS doctor. You shouldn't have been recommended the VSG in the first place at your starting weight. IMO - that was irresponsible and just wanting your money. The Loop is by any other definition still "experimental". The DS was experimental for 20 years before it got respect from insurance. Less than 10 years of data isn't anywhere near a guarantee, especially since there are unsucessful Loop DS (aka SADI and SIPS) people who have revised to a standard DS because of lack of results. Others are learning that they are having way more challenges nutritionally than their surgeon's led them to believe, and they find themselves needing as many vitamins that we have. Add to that the reality of bile reflux, which is a common problem with Loop.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 641 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views