8 month stall

CamCake
on 4/16/19 8:42 pm

I am 8!out months out and I have only lost 65 pounds. I haven't lost anything in the last few months. What is happen I am getting 90 oz of water a day. 90 plus oz of protein however nothing is happen. I thought we don't absorb all the fat and carbs. I'm not a big carb eating I try to keep it under 50 a day. I feel like i need to be on a diet which make no since what the point of the surgery If I have to been on a keto diet? This is so frustrating for me.

Tanya B.
on 4/17/19 12:21 am - Philadelphia, PA

Don't feel frustrated. I know it's tough. I had high expectations of losing about 150 lbs. the surgery did most of the work. But we still have to be careful. We are carb sensitive. So you have to watch the type of carbs you are eating. I dropped about 90 initially. Then stayed there for a long time. I go by how I feel. Not the scale. I currently lowered the carbs I was eating and increased water. Plus I work out now. And after 11 1/2 years the surgery still works. Best of luck.

Tanya B.
SUCCESS IS ONLY A STEP AWAY

Janet P.
on 4/17/19 5:42 am, edited 4/16/19 10:50 pm

First, congrats on a 65 pound loss. Second, take a deep breath. This happens to everybody. You have to work the surgery (it's not magic). The farther out you get from surgery the more you eat - it's as simple as that. You have to pay very, very close attention to what you eat. Write down everything you eat for one week and see exactly what you're eating. You may be surprised. It's all in the carbs. Life after the DS is somewhat similar to the keto diet (high protein, good complex carbs, bad simple carbs. We benefit from the malabsorption on the fat side. Don't think of how you eat anymore as a diet. Think of it as "this is how I eat" post DS.

You also don't say what your starting weight was and how much more you want to lose. Our bodies tend to start adjusting as you lose weight.

When I was in the losing phase, I think my carb intake was under 20 per day. Remember we absorb 100% of carbs (they turn to sugar). Also try upping your protein a little as well.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Eliza970
on 4/17/19 1:45 pm

Hard to know why you stalled. Good suggestions about writing everything down to spot problems and staying on track even as you get farther from the surgery day. Who was your surgeon? Did he do a Hess DS or a modified DS? Did he tell you what length your common channel was? For me, quantity is as important as quality. I know some people here are able to eat a full meal as long as it is high protein, but I have to concentrate on smaller protein meals more often. Liquid calories are the worst, so I stick to solid food. I find Diet soda influences my weight, so you could try a trial week without it. Don't despair, you have done very well already.

CamCake
on 4/17/19 7:18 pm

My surgeon was Dr. Lederer I was his last patient before he transferred. He did the Bilio-pancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. He never told me the length of common channel. I have read about people saying it make a difference. I use the MyFitnessPal app to monitor my food. I don't drink soda at all but I can eat pretty normal. I honestly feel like the doctor really don't care since the surgery he is paid now. I am going to call tomorrow and ask about the length of my channel AGAIN. He told me it doesn't matter what the length is ugh This have been such a frustrating process. Also Liz thank you so much for taking the time to send me such encouraging words and if you have any suggestions for me please let me know!!!

chevtow41
on 4/18/19 4:28 am
DS on 11/11/14

Tell them you want a copy of your surgical report, rather than asking the length. Then you can find out if he gave you a true DS, a SADI/SIPS, or a modified DS (extra long common channel).

CamCake
on 4/18/19 4:59 am

I never thought to ask for that Thank you sooo much I will ask for it today :)

Janet P.
on 4/18/19 7:53 am

You have every right to have a copy of that report. Demand a copy if you have to. I haven't heard it called BPD/DS since I had my surgery 16+ years ago. I'm a little concerned that your surgeon said the length doesn't matter. That is not at all what I was gold, which was that your common channel will definitely define how much you absorb - the longer the CC the more you absorb. I believe the "average" is 100. I've seen some has short as 50 and as long as 200.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/19 9:11 pm
KattattaK
on 4/21/19 8:26 am

Does a longer cc also lessen vitamin deficiencies and improve vitamin absorption?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 120 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views