Ds skin removal?

Katemils819
on 4/22/19 5:02 am - Philadelphia , PA

Hey all,

Just curious has anyone had skin removal surgery or any kind of plastic surgery after weight loss? Was it covered? How long did you wait to have plastics done? Did you reach max weight loss or mid way through weight loss? Thanks so much

Kate

DS@ 330lbs

CURRENT 180lbs

Gained 50 back after 6years

PattyL
on 4/23/19 9:15 pm

Most docs say the best results are to be had at your lowest stable weight. It's a waste of money to do it midway because you will need to have it all redone. Most insurance does not cover plastics. Some people have been able to get it covered if they could prove the skin kept them from being able to move or was constantly irritated or infected.

Janet P.
on 4/24/19 5:26 am

Kate - I had a tummy tuck and breast lift after being at my goal weight for about a year and a half. I went to a great local PS who had done several other WLS folks I knew. He even managed to get my TT covered by my insurance (have to prove medical necessity). I paid for the lift (both were done at the same time). I think the total cost for me was about $5K (but that was also almost 13-14 years ago). Most doctors want you to be at your goal weight for at least a year, which makes sense.

If you are having issues with rashes, etc., start documenting. Go to your primary doctor, take pictures. Some insurance just flat out won't cover plastics, but some do.

Interestingly when I was shopping around for a PS, I went to one who had a great reputation. She flat out told me insurance would never cover it and wouldn't even be bothered submitting. Glad the surgeon I went to didn't have the same mentality. You have to shop around and find a plastic surgeon who understands WLS and our needs.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Gwen M.
on 5/3/19 12:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The plastics forum might be useful for you --

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 130 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views