RNY to DS at the dr now

Dnicko76
on 5/16/19 10:08 am - Lawton, OK

im sitting here scared that they are going to tell me no. I had RNY 11 years ago gained all the weight back. My insurance will cover the DS so here I sit. ANy tips for me? How different is it than the ArNY recovery times

Dnicko76
on 5/16/19 10:10 am - Lawton, OK

im sitting here scared that they are going to tell me no. I had RNY 11 years ago gained all the weight back. My insurance will cover the DS so here I sit. ANy tips for me? How different is it than the ArNY recovery times

Liz J.
on 5/16/19 11:12 am
DS on 11/29/16

How did it go?

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

larra
on 5/16/19 12:04 pm - bay area, CA

By now you've probably seen the doc and hopefully had some of your questions answered, but here are my own thoughts -

You've asked about something that may be much more complex than you realized. Revising from RNY gastric bypass to the DS is a huge and complex operation done by only a handful of experienced DS surgeons. It involves taking apart your old gastric bypass completely, putting everything back together in the original anatomy, and then doing the full DS. That's a lot of surgery, and the risks are greater than with a primary DS.

If you are seeing a surgeon who doesn't do the DS, he/she isn't going to offer you a DS. Instead, they will either offer you some minor revision to what you already have, probably going from proximal to distal bypass, which studies have not shown to provide much additional weight loss, or just try to scare you out of doing anything and tell you to make better use of what you already have.

There is much more to this topic, so I'm also sending you a pm. Look out for it!

Larra

Laura in Texas
on 5/19/19 5:11 am

Please listen to Larra. A friend of mine was revised from RNY to DS by a doctor who did not know what he was doing and she never recovered- in and out of the hospital for years and then died. Be wary!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Beam me up Scottie
on 5/19/19 6:56 pm
Sorry to hijack a thread. I saw you had surgery with Dr. Lomnico? How was he?
Laura in Texas
on 5/20/19 8:58 am

Awesome. If I ever get any more work done I will use him again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jenjenviola
on 6/5/19 12:53 pm - Washington, DC

Who did your friend have the surgery with?

i_am_insain1
on 5/20/19 12:51 pm

Hi Dnicko,

Quick question, have you tried to reset your gastric? What I mean by reset is you start over like you just had the surgery.

I was in my way to regaining all of my weight and I was back up to 260 for a while. My health had started going back to where it was when I was 356 before my "RNY" back in 2001.

I found that my "New" stomach was still working, I just wasn't "Working" the "Tool" way it was intended. So after almost 15 years out and still 100 pounds from my goal.

(My regain was appx 60+)

I started a small farm to force myself to work my "Tool" again. Toating water for the animals, carrying 40-80 pounds of feed, digging a new garden and building cages takes some getting used to. But by drinking clear water, no juice, no soda and eating 4/6 ounces of protein the again weight off flew in 8 months that 100 went bye bye!!!!!

I also adapted a saying: If I didn't catch it, kill it, grow or make it myself I won't eat it.

I have chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats and pigs. I also go deer hunting, we hike at least 20 miles when we hunt. So protein is my number one food source along w/my garden and small orchard I don't crave fast or convenient foods.

Toned and leaner than I've ever been, I can wear lil girls or boys clothes because sometimes a zero is too big.

You don't have to go as extreme as I did but you can control YOUR tool/fork with or without surgery or an extra surgery by working it daily, hourly, minute and by second.

To make it simple:

A "Tool" takes work to use it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 244 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views