Huge belly, 13 years out from DS

Debbie P.
on 6/1/19 12:13 pm - Kettering, OH

Hi all: I haven't visited here in a very long time. But I thought maybe someone else has experienced this. I lost around 100 pounds with my DS. My weight fluctuates from 180-200 periodically. I'm okay with that because my health is good.

My question is about my belly. It seems ALL of my excess weight is in my belly. I can go extreme low carb and while I will lose weight -- the belly stays large. For instance -- when I weight 190, I have to wear a 2X or 3X top while my daughter who weighs 240 can wear an XL. It is super frustrating. And it has been this way for years and years. I did have a hernia and that was "repaired" back in 2008. Not sure if it actually was repaired or if I have another one at this point. But even after the repair -- my belly stayed huge. I literally look pregnant.

Yes, I do feel bloated. Obviously, after carbs is the worst -- but like I said, even when I am extremely low in carbs -- I feel bloated and belly is huge.

I've read about "leaky gut" and different types of detox things, but has anyone else had this issue and did you solve it?

Thank you!

Debbie ~

Eliza970
on 6/1/19 1:42 pm

My shape will never be the same as someone who didn't lose 150 lbs. It is hard to find flattering clothes for the no-butt, big-belly body. I like Not Your Daughters Jeans. How much is the round belly the excess skin, my age, lack of exercise, weak abdominal muscles, a few beers now and then, whatever? I've tried shapewear like Spanx and didn't find it helped that much.

It sounds like you have more than the average shape issues. I'm not sure what you mean by bloated, but maybe run it by a internal medicine doctor? Ascites is excess fluid in the abdomen and causes bloating and exaggerated belly, and it is associated with liver problems, bile duct issues, and other things.

White Dove
on 6/1/19 5:00 pm - Warren, OH

I really believe that weight loss surgery gives us back our health and plastic surgery restores our self-esteem. Have you considered a tummy tuck operation?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Debbie P.
on 6/2/19 8:45 am - Kettering, OH

Thank you for your response. My doc didn't want to do plastic surgery until I got closer to my goal -- which never happened. And my belly -- it's not so much hanging skin. It is more like a pregnant belly.

White Dove
on 6/2/19 10:15 am, edited 6/2/19 3:16 am - Warren, OH

I do understand the concern with being at your goal weight before plastic surgery. I had my plastic surgery consultation on the one year anniversary of my RNY. I was six pounds over my goal weight when I had the tummy tuck a few months later.

I lost that weight during the recovery from plastic surgery. I continued to lose another fifteen pounds during the remainder of that year.

What they do with the tummy tuck after removing excess skin is tighten up all of the muscles that hold your belly in. It is sort of like lacing up a shoe.

Mine was eleven years in February. If I gain more than 10 pounds over the weight when I had the tummy tuck, my stomach will start to stick out like a pregnancy again. As long as I keep my weight under control, it stays flat and tight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 6/3/19 3:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM Pacific Time, Debbie P. wrote:

Thank you for your response. My doc didn't want to do plastic surgery until I got closer to my goal -- which never happened. And my belly -- it's not so much hanging skin. It is more like a pregnant belly.

if you aren't going to reach your original goal and are satisfied with where you are,there is no reason to wait for a reconstruction.

the plastic surgeon will use liposuction,muscle suturing and contouring to get rid of whatever is causing the big belly. They will then remove the extra sling and tightly suture the skin to your new shape.

Valerie G.
on 6/7/19 10:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hi Debbie!

Are you taking any probiotics at this time? Gut bacteria can also cause excess bloating. If you've not explored the wonderful world of gut bugs, this may be an easy fix.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Debbie P.
on 6/15/19 12:46 pm - Kettering, OH

I am not taking any probiotics at this point in time. I have in the past and didn't notice a difference. But I know there are MANY kinds out there. Do you have any suggestions on types to take? And maybe I didn't take them long enough (I think I stuck with them for about a month)? I'm willing to give them a try.

Deb ~

Janet P.
on 6/17/19 11:17 am

Debbie - I take a strong probiotic every day, and have for years. I try to switch brands every 6-12 months to make sure my system doesn't get too used to them.

I'm currently taking Nature's Way Fortify Optima Colon Support 90 Billion Probiotic. I really like them. Seems to keep my gut pretty happy.

I do get a bit of a big belly by the end of the day, and I simply blame it on carbs. I know I will never have a flat belly.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 6/27/19 2:15 am

I would suggest taking VSL#3DS, it is the best probiotic I have used. as DSers we have dybiosis, too many anarobes, it has made a day and night difference. I have been on it for many years, it has 900 Billion CFU.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views