Fortero results for Osteoporosis @ 1 Year Mark

Noodle65
on 6/12/19 5:50 pm, edited 6/12/19 6:48 pm
DS on 10/18/12

Greetings all,

I wanted to provide my results after being on Fortero for severe osteoporosis at the one year mark but 1st I thought it would be helpful to give some background.

I had my DS almost 7 years ago four months after the surgery I was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia I went through a year of intense inpatient chemotherapy while I continued to try to balance my DS.

I was always very diligent with my vitamins following the Vita lady protocol although around the 3 year mark I began to have major foot and leg cramps that occurred with my calcium citrate. I went a few months not taking my calcium simultaneously unknown to me I had gone into menepause at age 52 with no symptoms probably due to the chemotherapy.

I had a dexy in 2017 that showed me mostly in the normal range with slight osteo penia in my hips within one year's time I developed full on severe osteo process in my spine and femur with a double wrist fracture.

In May of last year I started fortero which is the only drug that will actually build new bone all the others including prolia only solidify soft bones it is a shot taken daily and it can only be taken for 2 years due to risk of bone cancer.

I had a new dexi and an appointment with my Endo yesterday and I am praising Almighty God with the results in my spine I no longer have osteoporosis I am in the normal range with a 9% increase in bone growth. in fact I have recovered a quarter inch of the inch in height that I lost which is known to happen crazy right.

Also my femurs have improved slightly and according to my Endo they recover slower and will improve again next year. I still had another 9% increase in my femurs.

I am so grateful after one more year fortero the plan is to put me on prolia to solidify the bone growth I've received from fortero.

All vitamin levels are back in line but I share this because mine is a cautionary tale.

My calcium in PTH levels were always in the normal range while I continued to drift very quickly into osteoporosis so please please get a dexy scan

Thanks to Gal aka GAK for your help

blessings Julie

Janet P.
on 6/13/19 6:08 am

Great news. I'll definitely ask about this. I've got pretty bad osteo (I've lost more than an inch in height). I tried reclast and that didn't work. We talked about Prolia, but it sounds like that's your next step.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Noodle65
on 6/13/19 7:16 pm, edited 6/13/19 12:17 pm
DS on 10/18/12

Janet,

Per WebMD.

Teriparatide (Forteo) is a synthetic version of the human parathyroid hormone, which helps to regulate calciummetabolism. It promotes the growth of new bone, while other osteoporosis medications improve bone density by inhibiting bone resorption, or breakdown. It is the only osteoporosis medicine approved by the FDA that rebuilds bone.

While Prolia is a so-called monoclonal antibody -- a fully human, lab-produced antibody that inactivates the body's bone-breakdown mechanism. It's the first "biologic therapy" to be approved for osteoporosis treatment.

In April the FDA gave its OK to Evenity, an injected therapy developed by drug giant Amgen. Evenity (romosozumab) is a type of therapy known as a monoclonal antibody, and it helps build new bone by blocking the effect of a protein called sclerostin, the agency explained.

My endo explained that the new drug had shown to cause heart attacks. He was expecting a 6% improvement and is very please that I had 9% new bone growth. I went from severe osteoporosis in my spine to normal in one year.

It is normal for the femurs to improve in the second year. Im so blessed.

Julie

Noodle65
on 6/19/20 11:45 am
DS on 10/18/12

Greetings

I wanted to provide my 2 year update on Fortero. This drug can only been taken for 2 years and I have have great success. At the one year mark, I recovered 9% in my spine going from osteoporosis to none and I gained a half inch back. Now at the 2 year mark, I gained 3% in my femur.

The plan now is to take prolia to solidify the progress made. Does anyone have experience with prolia?

Blessings

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views