I'm approved!!!

sharonallen
on 6/26/19 7:19 pm - Grand Prairie

I'm sooo excited! I've been approved for DS, revision to the gastric bypass. Surgery date is 7/23/19 and i can't wait!!!

Can you please give me some advice as to what I should expect after the surgery?

How do you manage all the vitamins? How is the liquid diet before and afterwards? When can you exercise? How long is the recovery period i.e time off from work?

As you can tell I'm well excited!!! Any advice is very much appreciated!

Liz J.
on 6/27/19 6:46 am
DS on 11/29/16

I went to Vita Lady and printed the recommended vitamins and time of time day. Then I adjusted as I got my blood work done. It's better to be a little high and stop taking something then low and trying to build it back up.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

sharonallen
on 6/29/19 7:19 am - Grand Prairie

Thank you!!

Janet P.
on 6/27/19 7:26 am

Congrats. You're having major surgery so just follow your surgeon's instructions. The main focus for the first 30 days is staying hydrated and starting to understand the DS. Protein goals are 30 grams per day by 30 days post-op, 60 grams per day by 60 days post-op, and 90 grams by 90 days. You get the picture. It's a learning process. For me, my goal was to get protein from food only as soon as I could because I simply hated the shakes. But back then (16+ years ago) the shakes sucked. There are much better options now.

Vitamins are also a slow and gradual approach. You'll be cutting large vitamins in half, opening capsules, etc. It's a learning process.

I got the clearance to exercise about 3 months post-op. I took 4 weeks off work (because I could) and it was great. By the 4th week I was almost back to normal. I also went back to work part-time for two weeks (again because I could). It really helped because I didn't realize how exhausting it was just getting up, showered and dressed, driving to work, etc. You're also still learning how to eat to accommodate your new insides. You're learning how to snack (IMHO the DS requires constant snacking - but on the DS-friendly snacks - mostly protein).

Hope this helps.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

sharonallen
on 6/29/19 7:18 am - Grand Prairie

Thank you so much, that does help!!

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/29/19 7:17 pm
Yes if you can find the Vitalady routine, start with that. It is a lifesaver.

I've had a decade of really good labs (except about a year ago i needed an iron infusion....I hate taking oral iron...and I could have just done oral iron but that was easier.

Scott
shae37
on 6/30/19 4:05 pm - tampa, FL

Good luck with surgery. May i asj wi will be your surgeon. I'm still looking to get a second opinion fir my revision.

sharonallen
on 6/30/19 9:58 pm - Grand Prairie

Thanks!

The Surgeon doing my surgery is Dr Brewer from New You in Irving TX. Hes really lovely and his partner Dr Hodges is very good too.

Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views