Duodonel switch

Rrcollier
on 6/28/19 8:44 am
DS on 06/24/19

Good Afternoon,

I had the duodenal switch done 4 days ago and i still feel like I've been hit by a car. There is one incision where he had to stitch a musle together, so my intestines wouldn't go through it. I'm not sure it's the one that is so painful. I was wondering if there is anything that could help with the pain. Only thing that really helps is laying down. I know i don't need to lay down all the time. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Rachel Collier

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/29/19 7:18 pm
You are only 4 days out. Just rest as you need to, just make sure you take short walks.

Things get better.
Tanya B.
on 6/30/19 7:49 am - Philadelphia, PA

Ditto your previous reply. Just get rest. Follow the instructions from your surgeon. It gets better.

Tanya B.
SUCCESS IS ONLY A STEP AWAY

hollykim
on 6/30/19 11:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 28, 2019 at 3:44 PM Pacific Time, Rrcollier wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I had the duodenal switch done 4 days ago and i still feel like I've been hit by a car. There is one incision where he had to stitch a musle together, so my intestines wouldn't go through it. I'm not sure it's the one that is so painful. I was wondering if there is anything that could help with the pain. Only thing that really helps is laying down. I know i don't need to lay down all the time. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Rachel Collier

are you taking your pain pills as prescribed?

Rrcollier
on 7/2/19 1:46 pm
DS on 06/24/19

I have been taking them. Today I'm feeling a lot better than i did.

Janet P.
on 7/1/19 8:12 am

You just had major surgery so you should expect some pain. Di you get any pain meds? If you did, you should take them in you're in pain. For anything that might appear out of the ordinary or exceptional pain, call your surgeon's office. No one on this board is a doctor.

Stay hydrated - keep sipping.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Eliza970
on 7/1/19 1:21 pm

Rachel, so sorry you are going through this! I agree with the others about communicating with your surgeons. If they don't call back right away, you can ask to speak with the nurse in the practice, if there is one, who might have helpful advice about how to move in the least painful way or techniques to distract from the pain. You are right to avoid staying in bed in exactly the same position. I hope they gave you helpful postoperative instructions on writing. If they didn't, you could ask for them. No question, the first week sucks, but it gets better with time. If it doesn't, don't hesitate to be proactive in getting seen quickly. I hope tomorrow is a better day!

Rrcollier
on 7/2/19 1:47 pm
DS on 06/24/19

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful advise. I am feeling better today. Im not in tip top shape but that one area is not killing ne.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views