Has anyone lost too much?

Skitter1960
on 9/26/19 4:37 pm
DS on 09/12/18

The DS surgery far exceeded my expectations, and I need some opinions.

It has only been a year and I have lost 170 lbs. I am eating right and in my opinion large amounts of food. I take my vitamins, and I add in extra protein drinks but it's always worse for my tummy. I was told to drink High calorie protein drinks but they are all high in sugar. As you know that makes your day miserable. Any suggestions? I seriously can't afford to lose anymore, and I do not want to have to get forced foods.

I eat eggs, meats, fish, veggies, and maybe a small amount of carb at night. Never where I am not home and in control of what can happen. I am monitored, blood work constantly i just cant find this new request that will work. I do not know how to get in more protein. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

ScaleSkater
on 9/27/19 6:50 am

Does your program have a nutritionist to help you make choices? I was asked this question by my WLS buddy - he's at goal and still losing. So I gave him the advice I've learned from my program and also echo'd here many times by other Vets - add small amounts of fats and good fruit (not banana's please) and even some good whole grains. My nut wants one portion of solid whole grains now - so I eat about 2/3 to a cup of oatmeal a day.... I also eat 2 pcs of good fruit - berries, apples, oranges a day. My minor cheat is mango with it's high sugar. But it is very nutritious. But the first step is to add good fat in 100 calorie increments. Add some good nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds) and/or a splash of olive oil in my salads... Do it slowly and in step by step increments a week or so at a time. You'll stop. I did. I went dead flat after adding these steps slowly.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Skitter1960
on 9/27/19 8:51 pm
DS on 09/12/18

Thank you, I can not tolerate any fruits at this time. I see a nutritionist monthly.

PeteA
on 9/27/19 5:48 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Do you still have as big an issue with any carbs as you did at the beginning? I would start to add more carbs in, baked regular and sweet potatoes, more vegetables, bread, etc. Add slowly to try and plateau the weight loss or at least gain a little more control.

More catbs doesn't mean more sugar but I think at a year your tolerances should be a little higher. You don't say how close you are to goal so depending on that is how much you want to start modifying your protein first diet.

At least that worked for me over time although it took me a year and a half before I thought about slowing things down. For me there was also some idea of wanting to get to the part of the DS where I could eat more regularly rather than a strict DS losing diet.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Skitter1960
on 9/29/19 7:56 pm
DS on 09/12/18

I have passed my goal, I am very under weight now I've lost about 41%, this was just not even a number we had thought about or discussed. I just wanted to know if others have had this happen. .I appreciate the advise and I do add items each day but I just find the tummy aches, gas, and diarrhea very overwhelming. I usually go back to a blander diet when this happens. I was just hoping for more wins by now. I usually eat protein first then veggies, then a carb. I do not eat carbs daily. I just find they do not agree with me then I am up all night. I just keep trying buy every check up I am loosing more and more. I am afraid it isn't going to stop. But I will take the advice and try as it cant hurt. I appreciate your time in answering me.

PeteA
on 10/1/19 5:21 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Depending on how concerned you are you might want to talk to the Doc about something like Creon. It's an enzyme (I think) that increases absorption. I've seen a lot of people ( relatively ) that were concerned about too much weight loss try that.

I feel for you, the first year I never really knew from week to week if something would hit me differently than the week before. Dairy was an especial problem for me then, soon figured it out and switched to Lactaid and frozen yogurt but it made my life miserable till I saw online about people coming out lactose intolerant and connected the dots. Powdered milk was a big portion of my Docs post-op re-introduction to food.

Have you tried something like sodium bicarbonate to mask some of the symptoms?

Pete

Skitter1960
on 10/1/19 4:03 pm
DS on 09/12/18

thank you, I have tried this already it was quite painful for me. I will keep trying things as suggested.

White Dove
on 9/28/19 4:47 pm - Warren, OH

I had RNY so don't know if this is a factor in DS. With RNY, most people gain back 20% of their lost weight in during the third year after surgery.

So my surgeon recommends losing an extra ten, twenty, or thirty pounds while it is still easy after surgery. They look too skinny for about a year and then fill out again.

I don't know if bounce back happens with DS, so I apologize if this is completely not applicable to you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 9/29/19 10:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Totally applies

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 9/29/19 10:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had the same concerns around 13 months post op and as recommended earlier, I started adding carbs to find the perfect balance (potatoes, a little flour, nuts)...and I did. 15-25% regain of your excess weight loss (ewl) is normal in years 2-3, so you will have some room for this.

If protein is upsetting your stomach, it may be the whey. Try switching to egg protein, or if cheese doesn't bother you, try eating more ricotta (28g per cup). I like to whip it with a little heavy cream into some instant pudding mix for a delicious dessert.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views