Gastric Bypass w/Duodenal Switch question

cm
on 10/31/19 8:13 am

I had Gastric Bypass w/Duodenal switch around 20 years ago. I suffer with stomach bloating and god awful gas. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the pain and smell? I've tried Gas X, Pepto, and Phazyme Ultra Strength. The other thing I tried was Atrantil which does help but not enough. And I don't drink carbonated drinks or chew gum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

White Dove
on 10/31/19 10:53 am - Warren, OH

My culprit is sugar alcohols. I found out that they were used in the bariatric chewable vitamins I was taking. Check everything you eat for ingredients that end in itol like

• Erythritol
  • Maltitol
  • Mannitol
  • Sorbitol
  • Xylitol

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cm
on 11/1/19 11:33 am

Thank's for the advice I will definitely give it a try!

SwitchSister07
on 10/31/19 11:52 am

Hi I stay away from too much sugar or bread. That being said I find probiotics 10 million I think helps me when things get out of hand.

cm
on 11/1/19 11:34 am

Sugar, that's my favorite thing in the world. But, I guess that answers my question. Thank you!

hollykim
on 10/31/19 6:07 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 31, 2019 at 3:13 PM Pacific Time, cm wrote:

I had Gastric Bypass w/Duodenal switch around 20 years ago. I suffer with stomach bloating and god awful gas. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the pain and smell? I've tried Gas X, Pepto, and Phazyme Ultra Strength. The other thing I tried was Atrantil which does help but not enough. And I don't drink carbonated drinks or chew gum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

eating carbs,especially grain, white flour and its products will cause terrible gas.

Janet P.
on 11/1/19 8:25 am

I've never heard of a gastric bypass with DS. Does that mean you have a pouch and your duodenum is bypassed?

Have you looked at what you're eating. The major culprit for gas and bloating is sugar (carbs). How's your carb intake? For odor, you can try Devrom (it's an internal deoderant - doesn't do anything for gas, just odor).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

cm
on 11/1/19 11:39 am

Is Devrom a pill and where can I get it? My husband would love it if I got some of that stuff!! I have a smaller pouch and I thought they re-routed my intestines and cut some off. But, don't quote me on that it's been so long ago I can hardly remember the specifics. Thanks for the advice!

White Dove
on 11/1/19 11:49 am - Warren, OH

You can order the Devrom on Amazon. You can also get charcoal pads that go in your underwear and absorb odors. I used Devrom for a while until I figured out the sugar alcohols were causing my gas.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Janet P.
on 11/4/19 4:21 am

They sell both a chewable tablet and a capsule (personally I take the capsule - 2 caps three times a day). I buy it directly from the company (devrom.com). I buy it in bulk and it's much cheaper than Amazon.

It doesn't work for everyone. I started using it years ago (got a sample from my surgeon).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views