New-ish Acronyms with D/S-BPD...What do they mean?

RhainyC
on 11/1/19 3:48 pm - Custer, WA

SO I've been gone from the WLS world for quite a few years, due to skeletal issues requiring surgery...

I come back and notice all these new acronyms...SADI/SIPS(can't recall the other 2-3 I've seen)

What are these, new types of the D/S?

I want the standard(Gold Standard) and a surgeon that really knows their stuff...still looking like it will be California at the rate things here in Washington State are going...

Any help understanding these new things would be appreciated

Cheers,
Rhainy

White Dove
on 11/1/19 8:28 pm - Warren, OH

You can google those terms and get clarification. But basically they are different procedures that surgeons have developed to do DS.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

califsleevin
on 11/2/19 11:17 am - CA

There is a new-ish single anastomosis procedure that goes under various names such as the SIPS, SADI, Loop DS, and a couple of others. They are a simplification of the traditional BPD/DS (much like the "mini-bypass" is a simplified RNY). It is being promoted as being "as good as" or "almost as good as" the traditional BPD/DS, but more "accessible" (requires lower skill levels so more surgeons can offer it.) Whether it lives up to the claims is uncertain at this point - it doesn't have enough of a track record for the ASMBS to endorse it yet, and most insurance doesn't cover it for that reason. At best, it is likely to fall in somewhere between the RNY and the BPD/DS in effectiveness, which would be a good thing, particularly if it has fewer side effects and limitations than the RNY and DS.

To find the closest experienced DS surgeons to you, then yes, you will have to come down the CA - either to SF for Rabkin or Jossert, or LA for Keshishian. Rabkin used to have a WA based support group, but I think that it has been inactive for some time.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Valerie G.
on 11/10/19 11:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

SIPS/SADI/LoopDS are all hybrids of the DS that have been around about 8 years if I'm counting correctly so for long-term results, they remain unfounded, but showing promise. I believe the ASBMS now recognizes SADI as the acceptable term.

You have a few fantastic surgeons in CA to choose from!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 11/25/19 4:57 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I saw people explain about the SADI and other names for it. It is surgically different from the traditional DS but the aim is the same, to add some mal absorption. CC length is not a thing for SADI usually around 200 to 250 cm I think.

People have had some very good results. I think it depends on your personal history with weight gain but it does lie in between the sleeve or gastric bypass and the traditional DS.

With my old eating habits I'm glad I had the traditional DS because it leaves me with a stronger tool to maintain. I'm 6.5 years out ans still happy with the results.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 81 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 642 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views