Normal

west4thavenue
on 11/12/19 12:27 pm

Thanks, Janet. Can I trouble you with one more question -- just for my own education. As you are 16 years out from your surgery, do you find you have more leeway now than you did at 5 or 10 years out?

Thanks!

west4thavenue
on 11/12/19 12:27 pm

Thanks, Janet. Can I trouble you with one more question -- just for my own education. As you are 16 years out from your surgery, do you find you have more leeway now than you did at 5 or 10 years out?

Thanks!

Janet P.
on 11/13/19 9:35 am

Ask as many questions as you like. Honestly that's why I stay on this site. Paying it forward.

Maintaining weight loss is simply the next phase. I was obsessed after I had surgery. I weighed and measured everything I ate. I read every label of everything I bought. I shopped differently. I had to learn how to eat for my new insides. I hired a personal trainer and went to the gym 5 days a week as soon as my surgeon gave me the go ahead.

Once I lost all my weight I started the next phase. How to figure out what/how I needed to eat to maintain the weight loss. Couldn't continue to eat the way I was because I would just keep losing. I actually was 10 pounds below my goal weight. I felt and looked awful. It took a while to find the balance of carb intake. That's what it's all about IMHO.

Which brings us back to your original discussion about normal. I have a new normal. My normal is a high protein, high fat, moderate carb diet. I have a good capacity (I know my sleeve is stretched - not to pre-op but it's definitely stretched). My switch is what keeps the weight off. Being 16 years post-op, I know exactly what works for me, and what doesn't. I listen to my body - paying attention how food affects me.

I basically eat whatever I want - but it's my normal, not someone else's normal. No restaurant is off limits. I love Italian food, but when I eat I will have a few bites of the pasta and focus on the protein - may even order extra protein. Same with Asian - love sushi but may also order sashimi or just eat less rice.

I've never used the word diet in this entire journey. It's just how I eat.

P.S. Therapy helped :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/19 8:04 pm

I agree. If I don't eat a lot of carbs I lose weight, and carbs definitely cause gas and bloating. We all make judgement calls.

PeteA
on 11/25/19 4:48 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Congratulations on your success and finding ways to use your "tool" to stay a success.

It's true that normal is different for different people. For myself I look back at my eating pre-DS and would never call that normal. Quantities were big and overeating common. I agree completely that keeping the weight loss required a substantial change in most of my eating habits. The initial weight loss phase, for me, gave me some time to reset some of my worst eating habits and menu expectations.

So when I say normal I mean I can go out to a restaurant, or a friends, have a varied plate and be done with a single, regular portion, not heaping, plate. I "can" eat pasta, potatoes, bread but now only do it in small quantities and take a pass many times.

I usually think that when people ask about "normal" they mean are there foods they can never have again or is the post-op diet super restrictive forever. And while we each might have our own personal demons to avoid certain foods, physically there is nothing we can't have in moderation or on a special occasion.

Candy, cookies, cakes are rarely indulged in because I know they have consequences that I need to be prepared for but with the holidays upon us there will be a few occasions.

Watching my weight carefully is just a part to life now. Like many people that have never had a weight problem. As I fluctuate 5 or 6 pounds above wherever I happen to be hovering at the moment then I switch my diet to fewer carbs and more protein. Eating into the strengths of my tool. As part of my watching I've occasionally done WW for the group support, the emphasis on tracking, and the public weekly weigh ins. I can do that on my own but sometimes it's easier to be a part of a group. I just don't often hit their assigned point goals but I make progress so no one cares.

I'm 6.5 years out, labs are good but I watch for trends and make adjustments before anything gets out of whack. Spent a couple of years around 230 to 240. Pushing back as I approached 240. In the past year or so I've gotten down to around 210 and am hovering there for now. (I'm 6:1, started at 464).

A new normal is a great way to put it. Thanks for the update and the thought provoking discussion. :)

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views