5 Year SADi DS Update

jmm1234
on 11/17/19 1:00 am, edited 11/17/19 1:13 am
DS on 11/01/14

5 Years went quickly, and I now consider my former MO self a past tense experience.

Some quick stats: Pre wls = +/- 300lbs and growing, 40 BMI, 6?1 male. 54yrs at surgery, 59 yrs old next month. Post wls - Dropped 150lbs over 12 months down to 135lbs at lowest (this was my worst fear with DS and it happened anyway with SADi DS). During years 1 & 2, had dizziness, frequent gas, kidney stones and looked like a cancer patient on the way out.

Years 3 thru 5, settled at around 160lbs (a gain of about 25lbs). I eat a lot (3k to 4k calories day) and do not gain or lose weight long term. I do work out 5 days a week but nothing major, mostly cardio and gut. My body takes in about 2k calories a day and flushes anything else out. I only produce lean muscle and I cannot add bulk muscle not matter what I eat or try. I?m fine with this but it?s odd.

I have a very lean frame similar to high school but add in varicose veins, enlarged prostate, etc. Like many wls patients, my loose skin doesn?t show so much when I?m standing but if I bend over, my gut looks like dried pudding spilling over the edge of the bowl.

Overall I?m happy I had the SADi and believe in wls overall. My personal view is to prioritize finding a quality surgeon with a plan, then agree on the most appropriate procedure.

My biggest NSV in Year 5: I bang out pushups every morning before heading out the door. I could never do them before and for me it?s a huge mental boost.

jmm1234
on 11/17/19 1:10 am
DS on 11/01/14

White Dove
on 11/17/19 4:54 am

Those are amazing pictures and an incredible success story. While the surgery was a tool that made it easier to lose the weight, it is your hard work that gave you the body you ended up with. I am really proud of you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jmm1234
on 11/17/19 7:57 am
DS on 11/01/14

Thanks. I still don't talk about the surgery to others around me because there is always the perception of somehow cheating. But we all know how had it is to go thru all the post surgery struggles.

Janet P.
on 11/18/19 7:56 am

First congrats on your success.

Are you doing too much cardio? I know it sounds weird but after I lost all my weight I actually stopped almost all cardio (except for a 10-minute walk on the treadmill to warm up). I focused on weight/strength training only. By doing too much cardio your body is still trying to burn fat, which it appears you have none of, so it's taking muscle. You may need more than 2k calories a day with the amount of working out you're doing.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jmm1234
on 11/18/19 11:30 am
DS on 11/01/14

Maybe too much cardio during warm weather months. I can't add bulk muscle but I do eat about 3k to 4k calories a day including a lot pf protein. Anything over 2k goes out thru the bathroom. I can eat any amount but I can't add weight or bulk muscle. This was not the case pre-wls.