Sleeve revision to DS

lightweightds
on 3/9/20 11:42 pm

Great answer! I second that noting that Dr. Ungson will also revise your sleeve during DS operation if needed.

Toyin12
on 4/15/20 9:17 am
Revision on 10/22/19

I had my surgery with Dr. Unsong. Great doctor, excellent bed side manners. Although, I should have only asked for a re-sleeve or just a DS and not both. My personal regret.

lightweightds
on 6/23/20 8:21 am

Why is that Toyin12?

Toyin12
on 4/15/20 9:12 am
Revision on 10/22/19

Hello,
My experience on the DS. I had a Sleeve done in 2008 with great result, and I went from 272ibs to 175ibs. I started regaining the weight back after about 5-6 years. I got to 229ibs when I decided to explore a revision (abroad). I had two consultations. The first surgeon suggested to do a re-sleeve (he advised to stay with what has worked for me in the past), the second advised for a re-sleeve but an uttermost result, for a DS.
I went for a DS and also re-sleeved on October 22, 2019, and I have lost 68ibs (current weight is 161ibs).
A few things you should consider before you make your final decision if you haven't already.
1- with the DS, your bowel movement changes a lot - I didn't think it was a big deal before the surgery, but it is life-altering for me. I need to consider what type of food to eat before I go out and I need to go out, would I be comfortable using the washroom if I have to - the odour is awful and the frequency could be a lot.
2- you need to know that your life will have to depend on taking multi-vitamins
3- I have lost enough weight (my ideal weight should be 175ibs), but I keep loosing, and I don't know how or when it will stop.
4- I have to seek medical attention to stop the weight loss
These are just a few of my concerns, I am not sure how my weight will stabilize or prevent, and I am looking for advice on this. My point is just to make sure you're prepared for life after DS. If I have to do it again, I would have just re-sleeved.
I wish you all the very best in your decision.

Henry M.
on 6/9/20 8:19 am - Fredericton, Canada

My Experience is almost identical.

Sleeve was done in feb 2013 at the time I was 400lbs - went down to 245. 5 years later I was at 299 - had the DS in August of 2018 - Goal weight was 200 and current weight is now 190 - but I cannot stop losing no matter how hard I try.

1- with the DS, your bowel movement changes a lot - I didn't think it was a big deal before the surgery, but it is life-altering for me. EXACTLY how I feel

2- I need to consider what type of food to eat before I go out and I need to go out, would I be comfortable using the washroom if I have to - the odour is awful and the frequency could be a lot. I CAN do NOTHING with DAIRY. I soooo love cheese and milk products. but the instant I swallow anything dairy I Bloat to painful proportions and then the hours of flatulence is unreal. It is almost as if it causes my intestine to become inflamed and swell near shut, because the passing of the gas is painful and needs forced out to relieve the pressure on my stomach.

So yeah - no ice-cream, cheese of any sort, or milk products.

Taking of Vitamins is easy peasy and nothing to it. It becomes a daily routine.

I do find that now 2 years out the emergency bathroom runs are not as bad. but I still wont go out in public without know where the nearest bathroom is and how long it will take me to get there. Some events I simply avoid.

It's a hard decision for sure, but It cured me of type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease... So no icecream and cheese but a prolonged life..

girl81
on 11/15/21 9:03 pm
On June 9, 2020 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, Henry M. wrote:

My Experience is almost identical.

Sleeve was done in feb 2013 at the time I was 400lbs - went down to 245. 5 years later I was at 299 - had the DS in August of 2018 - Goal weight was 200 and current weight is now 190 - but I cannot stop losing no matter how hard I try.

1- with the DS, your bowel movement changes a lot - I didn't think it was a big deal before the surgery, but it is life-altering for me. EXACTLY how I feel

2- I need to consider what type of food to eat before I go out and I need to go out, would I be comfortable using the washroom if I have to - the odour is awful and the frequency could be a lot. I CAN do NOTHING with DAIRY. I soooo love cheese and milk products. but the instant I swallow anything dairy I Bloat to painful proportions and then the hours of flatulence is unreal. It is almost as if it causes my intestine to become inflamed and swell near shut, because the passing of the gas is painful and needs forced out to relieve the pressure on my stomach.

So yeah - no ice-cream, cheese of any sort, or milk products.

Taking of Vitamins is easy peasy and nothing to it. It becomes a daily routine.

I do find that now 2 years out the emergency bathroom runs are not as bad. but I still wont go out in public without know where the nearest bathroom is and how long it will take me to get there. Some events I simply avoid.

It's a hard decision for sure, but It cured me of type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease... So no icecream and cheese but a prolonged life..

Have you tried lactaid? or goat dairy? often goat dairy is tolerable for people with lactose intolerance.

KikiDee
on 6/22/20 8:39 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Thank you everyone! My surgery was canceled due to the Covid-19 but was just rescheduled for July 22. I'm super excited and super nervous!
I hope everyone is staying safe during this time!
I can't wait to be happy and healthy again!
I have read and appreciate all of your replies! Hope to hear more stories and experiences with the DS! This is so informative for me!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views