Requirements for DS

snakedavisjr
on 3/29/20 3:50 am

Hello, I had sleeve surgery in 2011 and was doing pretty good until some major upsets in my life occurred and I fell off the rails in many ways and my eating habits went back to their old ways. I know that this is no excuse, but it is what happened in my situation. Now I am in a good place in life and things are going well and I won't allow this to happen again. My question is what do the Dr.s require to get the DS surgery? Also the insurance company? I have Cigna.

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/20 7:20 pm

The doctors don't decide, they just operate. Generally an insurance qualifying trigger which is usually a 40 bmi or higher, or a 35 bmi with comorbidities. I had Cigna insurance, a 40 bmi and had the SADi DS in 2014.

If I had the vsg, I would have gained all the weight back by now. Luckily I still malabsorb and have kept the excess weight off.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/1/20 12:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You'll really need to check with your insurance. Some ins companies will only allow 1 wls, even if you do meet the requirements. Something like complications from your first surgery might allow you to get another one. But the ole went off the rails for a bit, probably won't be enough, at least not thru insurance.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

PeteA
on 4/7/20 11:30 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Some Surgeons will advocate against the DS unless you have a relatively high BMI or co-morbidities that might be helped (Diabetes, CPAP use). A surgeon specializing in the DS will probably lean more into it but no gaurantees. You have to advocate for your choice if it is what you really want.

I'm not any help on insurance. I had to self pay, my insurance didn't cover the main surgery at all.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 272 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 746 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views