Revision from VSG to DS

Toyin12
on 4/15/20 10:18 am
Revision on 10/22/19

I had revision surgery on October 22, 2019, from a Sleeve to a DS with a revision starting weight of 229ibs. My ideal goal weight should be 175ibs. I am still losing weight, and I need it to stop because I am already over 10 lbs below my ideal weight.
I don't feel very hungry, but I try to eat as much as possible.
I can't eat a large portion - I also re-sleeved as part of the DS procedure.
I am looking for practical advice on how to stop the weightloss and possibly add 10ibs.

Janet P.
on 4/16/20 4:41 am

Congrats on a successful revision. I can only give you my perspective as a "virgin" DSer (not a revision). With the DS you have to start adding carbs, because carbs are absorbed 100% - both simple and complex. Unfortunately with additional carbs can come with more gas and bloating, etc. The challenge is finding the balance of maintaining your current weight and not feeling miserable. Listen to your body and how it reacts to certain foods. Eventually you'll learn what helps, what doesn't. Since you were resleeved, you have to make sure you're getting in all of your protein, water, etc. That can also be a challenge. You need to snack more.

Being 10 pounds below goal isn't a bad thing because you will probably have some bounce back once you start adding carbs.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Toyin12
on 4/16/20 6:17 am
Revision on 10/22/19

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your suggestion, I will try adding carb slowly into my diet. Snacking and eating often is a challenge right now as I am not just that hungry.

How long have you had your DS?
Have you had any weight re-gain?
Did you ever go below your goal weight?
How do you manage loose stool? if you had this issue, did it ever go away?

hollykim
on 4/16/20 9:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM Pacific Time, Toyin12 wrote:

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your suggestion, I will try adding carb slowly into my diet. Snacking and eating often is a challenge right now as I am not just that hungry.

part of the sleeve surgery is removing the part of the stomach that causes hunger. You may never be hungry again. I am never hungry and haven't been in the 10 years since I had surgery.

even though I'm not hungry , I eat 6 very small meals a day. If I waited to be hungry I would have starved to death a long time ago. You don't have to be hungry to eat, you just make a menu and prepare and eat what is on it. You don't have to like it or want it, you just do it. eating is not necessarily for pleasure anymore, it is now for survival.
hope this helps. You just have to eat and be sure you are getting your vitamins and supplements in or you will be in a world of trouble. Are you taking your vitamins and supplements?

Toyin12
on 4/20/20 8:28 am
Revision on 10/22/19

Thank you for sharing a wealth of information. I am keeping up with my vitamins and supplements; my last blood work shows low Vitamin D and A, so my family physician advised me to increase the dosage. I have not been good with my multi-vitamin, but it is something I will get going beginning today. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Janet P.
on 4/17/20 4:03 am
On April 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM Pacific Time, Toyin12 wrote:

I had my DS 17 years ago. My original goal was 150 and I got as low as 140. I was pretty sick at 140 from iron deficiency anemia. Once I got the anemia under control my weight bounced back. The anemia is something I will deal with for the rest of my life (I don't absorb oral iron so I have to periodically get infusions). My high weight was 165. When I hit 165 I reduced my simple carbs, upped my protein (I always get a minimum 125 grams), and water (I drink a minimum of 64 ounces), and honestly the weight just comes off (that's for me). My current weight is around 150. I manage my weight simply by added or eliminating carbs. It works for me.

For me personally the loose stool is part of life. It's the carbs so I can control it. That's the balance - I call it the DS dance - eating enough carbs to not lose weight but not too many that I'm miserable. One thing I've learned over the last 17 years is how my body reacts to certain foods so I try to listen to it when it tells me not to eat something. I know what will cause bad gas and bloating and what won't. I manage it the best I can. I take Devrom, which helps with the odor only.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/20 8:24 pm

You're still new to the procedure so you'll lose more weight. I lost about 50lbs more than my goal. Whatever weight gets you to around an 18 BMI or even a bit lower is possible, and not a health hazard, just not what you're hoping for.

I'm in my sixth year post WLS and have gained back about 25 to 30lbs. Still skinny as a rail and I eat a lot. It's ok to be thin, just like it was ok to be fat. As long as you do what you can to be healthy and keep a positive attitude you'll be fine.

My weight expectations similar to our current covid situation have altered my definition of normal. No complaints on the wls side though.

Toyin12
on 4/20/20 8:38 am
Revision on 10/22/19

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is comforting to know that there is a potential for a bit of weight regain (sounds strange to me that I will be hoping to gain a bit back) Wow.... 50ibs below, I hope I won't get that low. I have not been eating a lot yet as I think my sleeve is still quite narrow, so I am hoping to get to that stage soon.

Working on maintaining positive attitudes and stop allowing words from friends and families, telling me that I am too skinny gets to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and encouragement.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views