I WAS APPROVED! Now, what to tell employer?

nolamom
on 8/5/20 1:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just approved for the surgery. I am so elated! I have been working for my employer for about a year now. They did not know about my previous gastric sleeve which was done many years ago and self paid. Any advice on what to tell them about upcoming surgery. I am really private but I know I have to tell them something.

Thanks!

Chris

catwoman7
on 8/5/20 2:07 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I was honest with mine, but some people tell others they had hernia surgery

Janet P.
on 8/6/20 6:06 am

I've also heard people use gallbladder surgery as a reason. I don't think legally they can ask you anything about why - just it's a medical procedure and you'll be out xxx and have xx limitations when you come back. You should be able to talk to someone in HR confidentially if you're concerned.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

nolamom
on 8/6/20 6:58 am

Thanks! I hate to be untruthful. I love my job. But, I'd like to work on this with my family only.

White Dove
on 8/6/20 9:21 am - Warren, OH

I told my boss the truth and my fellow employees that it was gallbladder.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

nolamom
on 8/6/20 1:06 pm

I like this. Thanks!

hollykim
on 8/10/20 1:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 6, 2020 at 8:06 PM Pacific Time, nolamom wrote:

I like this. Thanks!

what will you tell them if your gallbladder goes bad? Unless you have already had it out. You do t have to tell them anything legally all you have to say is your doctor is recommending surgery for a health proroblem you aren't required to tell them what it is

there will be questions as you begin to lose weight so be prepRed for that.

nolamom
on 8/10/20 1:39 pm

Good advice! And I'll be working from home for awhile so maybe I won't have to explain too much to my coworkers whenever we get back to some sort of normal schedule.

TheWombat
on 8/15/20 4:08 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I just told my employer and co-workers that I was having surgery. I didn't say what kind.

nolamom
on 8/31/20 1:12 pm

Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 156 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 695 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views