Vitamin Infusions

DSin2013
on 8/13/20 2:20 pm
DS on 03/08/13

Hi, all! I had a BPD/DS with Dr Sudan at Duke in 2013. (SW: 338 CW: 172) I also have an autoimmune condition that requires amontly visit with a Hematologist (she's amazing!) and an IV infusion every month. My recent DEXA is normal and most of my labs have been fine except iron (taken care of by 2x/yr InFed infusions) and my Vit D. UGH! I just can't get that Vit D to stay up and feel well while doing it.

These past 7 years I've been taking VitaLady's D orally and while I can manage to bring up my numbers it upsets my stomach. In the past I have just put up with the discomfort and choked the horse pills down, then when my numbers got pretty good, cut back on the Vit D/ recovered from the tummy upset---but eventually of course my numbers drifted back down again, then started the cycle all over. But I just can't face resigning myself to constant tummy upset with the the Vit D, forever. (I mean, as a DS-er I already have the other intestinal distress issues and that's enough for me haha)

Isn't there some way to take the Vit D by IV? Don't dialysis patients take it this way? Or Crohn's patients? If Vit D is available IM, isn't it feasible by IV? I searched this site for info and only came up with someone in 2009 who had Vit D infused. Anyone else???

Anyone have insight on this? Would regular Vit D infusions even be effective assuming I could find someone to order them? What kind of physician I need to consult with to explore if this is an option for me to simply add to my monthly infusions? I don't care about the insurance implications, if they will cover it or not; I just need to get this Vit D thing fixable, long term. Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight, experiences, advice, or personal stories!

PattyL
on 8/14/20 8:43 am

I believe Dr. Keshishian in California has done this before and it seems to work well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5240054/ Here is a brand name for you to look at. https://www.medicinenet.com/calcitriol-injectable/article.ht m Seems to me any doc should be able to order it if you can tell them what you want.

Calcijex might be a good option for lots of people.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views