One month post op and am having a long plateau in weight loss!

KikiDee
on 8/21/20 2:21 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Hello!! I am one month post op from a DS (had a sleeve 4 years ago) I have lost 28lbs so far but have not lost a pound in 2.5 weeks and just weighed myself and gained 3 pounds back. I am eating a lot of protein and hardly any carbs. I'm getting frustrated and feeling defeated. This surgery was very hard and I don't want it to be for nothing. I wonder why I did it if I am not seeing amazing results.

has anyone experienced plateau like this so early on or even weight gain?

I would love some advise or to read your experiences please!!

thank you!

catwoman7
on 8/21/20 6:12 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm surprised you didn't have "the three-week stall" back when you had the sleeve. It happens to almost everyone. It's not always the third week (although it usually is, hence the name), but sometime during the first 4-6 weeks after surgery, the vast majority of us have our first stall. Just stay on your plan, stay off your scale if you have to, and be assured that the stall will break.

the 3 lb weight gain: as long as you're following your food plan, it's most likely water retention (from sodium) or what we call "bathroom backup".

KikiDee
on 8/21/20 7:09 am
VSG on 06/27/16

Thank you so so so much!! This makes me feel a lot better! I do retain a lot of water so you are probably right on with that. I am going to find my weight loss journal for when I had the sleeve and look back at that.
thanks again, I appreciate itð?¤--

White Dove
on 8/22/20 9:01 am - Warren, OH

Although stalls are normal, I am a bit concerned when you say you are eating a lot of protein. Even with surgery, the only reason for weight loss is eating less than you burn. Second weight loss surgeries are often not as successful because you usually learned how to eat around weight loss surgery.

So you still need to weigh, measure, and track your food and keep your calories low in order to continue to lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KikiDee
on 8/23/20 4:25 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Thank you! I actually have lost 3 more pounds so the stall is over for now!! Yay! Finally. The 3 gained plus 3 more! I'm have lost 31lbs now and feeling a lot better!

Brandy G.
on 9/1/20 4:32 pm
DS on 08/20/14

I lost about this much my first month and then my body did a reshape and I stalled a little too. Even gaining a little after a reshape isn't that unusual. I remember catching a glance at my shadow and freaking out. I couldn't really see the weight loss on my body, but my shadow looked tiny all of a sudden. :-) Over time, stalls and body reshapes seemed linked and I stopped worrying about them.

However, every time I let my carbs drop below 50 I would stall. And I lost the most weight keeping my carbs around 90. Some doctors say that on less that 100 carbs, we can not process the proteins we need, but I don't think that matches what we see post DS on the boards.

There are no hard and fast rules, I think. You will have to really listen to what your body is trying to tell you it needs, only right now it is confused as hell, so it will take a while to sort out. Just don't be afraid to forge your own path. Fruits worked for me right away, especially watermelon. Some people still avoid too much fruit 5 years later.

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views