Long term weight loss

Shotzi
on 2/21/21 12:13 pm

I just celebrated 20 years after WLS on January 30th!

I had a Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch 20 years ago. My weight was 215 at that time. I lost 85 pounds from having the surgery. I have done pretty well and haven't had a huge weight regain. However when I have had steroid injections in my back, it made me ravenously hungry! My weight would go up by 10 pounds but I always managed to lose it.

When covid happened and I got another steroid injection plus the bordom eating I went from 140 to 153. I joined Weigh****chers green plan and have so far lost 7 pounds in a month. So my goal is between 138-140 because that's where I feel the best.

I would like to hear from others if you have had similar experiences and how did you get back down to your ideal weight again.

PattyL
on 2/21/21 1:13 pm

Congratulations!

Some do well and it is a real struggle for others. I am 18 years postop and for the first time ever I am in the normal BMI range. And I never stopped dieting. I had very little easy weight loss after the DS. I had to work for every ounce. But what the DS did for me was to allow dieting to work. If I hadn't had surgery, I would have dieted myself up to 600lbs by now or I would already be dead!

For me it is just DS basics. Eat plain protein and very little else. I eat between 20 and 30 carbs a day. I do give myself cheat days. Out of town vacations and holidays. I want to be able to participate and I know myself well. I can't cope with eternal deprivation. Works out to around 20 days of free food per year. The rest of the time, I am pretty strict.

Janet P.
on 2/23/21 3:51 am

Congrats on your success.Our timing is similar - I just celebrated my 18 year anniversary of the DS. I'm currently at my goal weight (150) but had creeped up to about 165 a couple of years ago. I went back to DS basics - low carb, high protein, lots of water. I've never "dieted" since my DS. I honestly don't know anything about WW - are you counting calories? Are you getting in enough protein since with the DS our requirements are more than the average human ;)

How are you labs?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Revision from RNY to DS
Samara20 · 4 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics
Revision from RNY to DS
Samara20 · 4 replies · 110 views
Prolia
Noodle65 · 11 replies · 162 views