Has any had Bile Acid Diarrhea/Malabsorption

winnielaroo
on 4/8/21 4:58 am

My surgery was approximately 1 1/2 months ago. For the last month have had severe diarrhea green in color and burning. This can occur up to 4-6X a day especially during the night. I know with this type of surgery, diarrhea can occur as the bile passes straight through into the bowel. Has anyone experienced this, and what was the treatment? Bile Acid Sequestrants? Thanks.

hollykim
on 4/9/21 9:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, winnielaroo wrote:

My surgery was approximately 1 1/2 months ago. For the last month have had severe diarrhea green in color and burning. This can occur up to 4-6X a day especially during the night. I know with this type of surgery, diarrhea can occur as the bile passes straight through into the bowel. Has anyone experienced this, and what was the treatment? Bile Acid Sequestrants? Thanks.

I was given the SADI DS when I had requested the traditional DS. It was apparently done incorrectly and I developed bile reflux. I had to take the sequestrant to absorb the bike until I could have it reversed to the traditional DS. Apparently the SADI can cause bile reflux where the real DS does not.
mare you sure of what procedure you received?

winnielaroo
on 4/9/21 11:49 am

My surgery was the Second Stage Duodenal Switch with Double Anastomosis Ileal Interposition. Which I believe is the traditional DS surgery. Hoping to start the sequestrants once I speak to the surgeon in the next couple of days.

Jmm4321
on 4/9/21 1:42 pm

Your poop will go through the colors of rainbow over the next year. It's ok.

I had the Sadi DS which was a home run for me, but I do take Omeprozole for acid reflux. I also had it pre wls and it's not an issue as long as I take the pills.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision from RNY to DS
Samara20 · 4 replies · 86 views
Prolia
Noodle65 · 11 replies · 156 views
Prolia
Noodle65 · 0 replies · 46 views