Weight Gain after 12 years

tina M.
on 5/20/21 1:31 am - sciez, France

Hello, I had a 2 part DS back in 2009. I was 485 lbs and lost to 165-170 lbs. Within a few years, I shot up to 180, and stayed there. My doctor was happy with it, and I felt great wearing size 10 jeans. Over the past year several things have happened to alter my weight. First, I entered menopause, secondly I developed severe insomnia and my antipsychotic, which I never gained weight on, changed to one known for weight gain, but also knocked you out. I have steadily gained weight since July of last year. I am now up to 208, and tryiing to make a drastic change. I started 18:6 intermittent fasting, as well as 40 net carbs per day. I have been in ketosis for about 10 days now consistently. I lost 6lbs the first week,(204.8) and I was thrilled, but over the course of this week, while still being in ketosis and following the same 45 net/110/150 regime, I am back up to 208.

I would love it if anyone could give me their current macros 10+ years out. I know that I am still malabsorbing to some degree, because my carbs are too high to be in ketosis, yet I am. If this scale dont move soon, I will be defeated. The hard part is not knowing whether im not losing because I eat too much, too little, or just havent given it enough time.

Thank you for letting me rant! Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Tina

tina M.
on 5/20/21 1:32 am - sciez, France

Im sorry, I weighed 385 lbs the day of surgery. My memory is not what it use to be.

hollykim
on 5/20/21 3:38 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 20, 2021 at 8:31 AM Pacific Time, glya wrote:

Hello, I had a 2 part DS back in 2009. I was 485 lbs and lost to 165-170 lbs. Within a few years, I shot up to 180, and stayed there. My doctor was happy with it, and I felt great wearing size 10 jeans. Over the past year several things have happened to alter my weight. First, I entered menopause, secondly I developed severe insomnia and my antipsychotic, which I never gained weight on, changed to one known for weight gain, but also knocked you out. I have steadily gained weight since July of last year. I am now up to 208, and tryiing to make a drastic change. I started 18:6 intermittent fasting, as well as 40 net carbs per day. I have been in ketosis for about 10 days now consistently. I lost 6lbs the first week,(204.8) and I was thrilled, but over the course of this week, while still being in ketosis and following the same 45 net/110/150 regime, I am back up to 208.

I would love it if anyone could give me their current macros 10+ years out. I know that I am still malabsorbing to some degree, because my carbs are too high to be in ketosis, yet I am. If this scale dont move soon, I will be defeated. The hard part is not knowing whether im not losing because I eat too much, too little, or just havent given it enough time.

Thank you for letting me rant! Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Tina

we metabolize 100% of the carbs we eat which can cause weight gain. 40 gms of carbs might be too much for you.

I have to set 20 or less carbs a day to lose snd calories between 600-800.

what does a days menu look like for you?

tina M.
on 5/21/21 1:21 am - sciez, France

Hey! Thank you for replying!

If I am in ketosis from eating 40 carbs a day, why would I lower that to 20? As I can be in ketosis from 40 carbs, does that not show that I still have some malabsorption from complex carbohydrates?

Tina

tina M.
on 5/21/21 2:07 am - sciez, France

Ok, so I read that ketosis is generally less than 50 carbs a day. Do they mean 50 net carbs or any carbs? Before I lower my carbs to 20, I want to find out if my lack of losing isnt from other sources such as too much or not enough protein and fats. 20 carbs a day makes me feel week and for me, is unsustainable. I eat 40-45 net carbs a day and am in ketosis. Is that possible without have some sort of malabsorption still? Sorry to ramble, Im confused. I spoke to an admin in a LCHF group yesterday who said since my ketones are so dark, it probably means im dehydrated, and that not enough water will keep you from losing weight. I am going to try increasing my water and see if that helps. What about protein and fats? How many grams of proteins and fats do yall intake daily?

Thanks

Tina

Kmegamom
on 5/24/21 7:00 pm

Hi Tina, I really don't know a lot about ketosis and how it works, but for me, it depends on the TYPE of carb I get. I can't each any type of breads, noodles, oats or any of that type carb. The only carbs I get is from fruits or veggies. For me, that makes a big difference in weight gain or loss. Also have you had your bloodwork done for all your vitamins and nutrient levels? My doctor does blood work every three months to make sure I'm not malnourished in any of the areas. Because our eating changes after weight loss surgery and we don't absorb as much in the foods we have to supplement with vitamins. I had a gastric sleeve which I know is different. Also maybe the doctor can check your hormone levels and change the psychological medications. When I went through menopause it wreaked havoc with my weight and I was told it can impact your thyroid hormones. Also many of the mental health drugs have weight gain as a side effect, if the one/s you are on perhaps they can change them. There are many that don't impact weight. Look at the level of your movement too, if you are not moving enough that can also impact weight.

dawnbailey1974
on 5/21/21 5:13 am

Hi Tina. I'm sorry for the off-topic. I've read you are on ketosis. Could you share a few blogs with recipes or weekly menus? I would really appreciate it. I've just started working on my weight loss and really need some advice from experienced people.

tina M.
on 5/21/21 8:17 am - sciez, France

When did you get your DS?

tina M.
on 5/21/21 8:30 am - sciez, France

As far as blogs and recipes, there are plenty of them out on the web. Google keto or low carb high fat recipes.

I have tried a keto bread recipe, but its horrible. I mostly live on Konjac noodles and green beans. I also encrust a piece of chicken with egg and parmesan, then throw it in the air fryer. What got me into to ketosis was 16:8 intermittent fasting, and around 40 ish net carbs per day, however I am told that it should be 20 carbs. So, no clue. I try to make sure that the carbs that I eat are complex, meaning not sugar carbs. Giving you advice is hard, because I have come here myself asking for help.

Wishing you well with your journey!

Tina

If there is anyone out there 10+ years post op that could tell me what kind of malabsorption they are still getting, and their daily macros, I would be so thankful.

hollykim
on 5/21/21 7:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 21, 2021 at 8:21 AM Pacific Time, tina M. wrote:

Hey! Thank you for replying!

If I am in ketosis from eating 40 carbs a day, why would I lower that to 20? As I can be in ketosis from 40 carbs, does that not show that I still have some malabsorption from complex carbohydrates?

Tina

ppl with a DS never malabsorption carbs, not even from the very beginning. Because carbs , even complex ones are essentially sugar. Sugar is rapidly and readily absorbed way before it gets to the part of our intestines that malabsorption protein snd supplement.

I don't k ow why you are in ketosis st 40 carbs, but you are obviously not losing at that amount.

Why drop yo 40? Because you aren't losing, but gaining. Thst has to tell you something, doesn't it?

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 91 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 647 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views