Switch from Gastric Sleeve to either a SADI-S or DS - pros and cons?

Desari63
on 8/6/21 2:19 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi Holly - I"m sorry to hear of the problems you were having with the SADI-S - can I ask who your surgeon was and what location did you go to? I'm going to Juarez and Dr Rodriguez is my surgeon and I trust him completely. What is BILE reflux? I have never had any acid reflux since my sleeve so I'm not sure what that is. We are going to talk about which would be best suited for me but I would love your input...

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

hollykim
on 8/6/21 7:03 pm, edited 8/6/21 12:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 6, 2021 at 9:19 PM Pacific Time, Desari63 wrote:

Hi Holly - I"m sorry to hear of the problems you were having with the SADI-S - can I ask who your surgeon was and what location did you go to? I'm going to Juarez and Dr Rodriguez is my surgeon and I trust him completely. What is BILE reflux? I have never had any acid reflux since my sleeve so I'm not sure what that is. We are going to talk about which would be best suited for me but I would love your input...

Barbara

dr. Ponce de Leon did the SADI I had not asked for. I asked and paid for the traditional DS.

Dr Ungson did the revision. Bile reflux is like acid reflux only what is coming up is bile instead of acid. Bile is what one often throws up when sick with a virus or other disease that causes vomiting.

it burns and causes nausea just like acid does.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/21 4:02 am, edited 8/10/21 9:06 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

For me the biggest gift of my proximal RNY nine years ago was my huge birth - defect hiatal hernia repair which meant no more reflux no more constant belly pain I had endured all my life!

Oh my Go**** was SUCH a huge shock that the suffering and pain stopped....I was so used to it

I couldn?t believe it when it was gone . I?ve been super-careful ( mebbe too careful) never to try my pouch or that repair in any way .

As a result I hardly dare eat more than a few bites . Which makes me look sexy and a ? model? weight or almost that ... but now I?m scared of osteoporosis and of heart issues like ex ballerinas and models have ....

Desari63
on 8/11/21 7:13 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi Veggie -

I'm so glad to hear that awful pain is gone for good! I thought about changing my sleeve to an RNY but that makes me nervous. I was offered that at the beginning but I was not over 100 pounds overweight at the time so I thought better of it and glad I did! I love my sleeve but I think just a little tweaking is needed after almost 11 years and this (I hope) will do the trick. I have been getting back to basics again - cutting out the things I know I shouldn't be having and eating eggs and lots of veggies (or as much as I can stand). Watermelon season ha**** and I LOVE watermelon so there's my water intake..LOL!

I'll be leaving on Sept 1 to head to El Paso and then on to Juarez...

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

PattyL
on 8/11/21 11:11 am

Either of the surgeries you are considering are better than the RNY. By the time you are 2 years post, your body has adapted to the small amount of malabsorbtion provided by the standard proximal RNY. That is when many start gaining weight again.

The SADI is newer, has a longer CC and there is some evidence patients lose quite a bit of their fat malabsorption pretty quickly. It is easier for the surgeon than the true DS. It is a crap shoot. Maybe it will be perfect for you and maybe, a few years from now you will find yourself back in the same place you are today.

I had the traditional DS(short 75cm CC) 18 years ago. I am a normal BMI and I still have to exercise and eat right or I do gain weight. I work hard at this and it is not easy. The DS is the closest you can come today to a procedure that will get the weight off and keep it off. There is nothing better available. But you need to be willing to take your supplements and do your part. It is not set it and forget it.

You know you. The sleeve you have today is just another diet with a smaller stomach. You need more. Maybe the SADI would be enough and maybe you would do better with the DS. Think about how you eat and what you want to be able to eat down the road.

Desari63
on 8/11/21 1:32 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi Patty -

That is what I needed to know and hear. I still cannot eat a lot but I can eat more than when I first had the surgery. Some days I can't eat much of anything without being full and other days, I can eat about 1/2 of what I used to and I don't understand the reason for that. I take lots of vitamins and supplements due to my heart condition and other things going on so that won't' be a problem keeping on that schedule. I don't eat many sweets like cookies, cakes and such so that's not a problem either.

I will be taking to my surgeon before I have this done to decide what would be best but I'm really leaning towards the DS as I don't want to go through all this again in another 10 years. I'm gonna be way too old for that..LOL!

I really appreciate the input and will let you all know how things go.

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Stephmags
on 8/14/21 6:39 pm
WLS on 09/07/21

your story is so similar to mine

I had the sleeve gastrectomy in September 2012. I still have some restriction but in the past several years I have gained weight and it will not come off. I am scheduled to have the new duodenal switch on September 7 with Dr. Cottam in Salt Lake City.

Dr. Ariel Ortiz, at the obesity control center, did my original surgery. I would have 100% gone back to him but he does not do this procedure. Luckily after some research I found a surgeon in the US that does self pay which is about what it would cost to go to Mexico. The surgeon in Salt Lake is a big supporter of surgery in Mexico and was very familiar with Dr Ariel Ortiz and has had nothing but nice things to say- This made me feel so much better because some people are very negative about having procedures in Mexico.

Keep us posted on your progress

Desari63
on 8/30/21 11:59 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi Stephmags -

I"m going for surgery in one day. We will leave on Wednesday morning but have surgery on Thursday. I"m looking forward to the next steps in this journey and hoping it will stay off this time.

Are you have the SADI or the full DS? I'm going to talk to my doctor when I get there it decide which is best for me..

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/21 2:51 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

Good luck and the best wishes for speedy healing and safe recovery! Hugs !

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views