Looking for some answers...

Desari63
on 9/29/21 1:27 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Hi all -

I had my SADI on 09/01/2021. There didn't need to revise my gastric sleeve as the stomach is still the same size as when I 1st had it done. I'm back on regular foods now after 4 weeks and I'm still not eating much but the weight loss is not going so well. I have only lost 13 pounds in almost 4wks and I was told the weight loss should be around 20# the 1st month. I still have a few days to go but I'm not liking what I'm see. My clothes are bigger but not much and I'm back in my 16's comfortable (a little baggy) but I'm having doubts that I did the right thing.

Should I have just gone with the bypass and not done the SADI? I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of 150-160 by December...

Any thoughts?

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

White Dove
on 9/29/21 2:24 pm - Warren, OH

Weight loss is still going to come down to eat less calories than you burn. But you have added malabsorption, so that gives you an extra advantage. RNY adds malabsorption, but it is temporary. I believe that you will have fat malabsorption for life, but still absorb carbs. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

What happens with virgin weight loss surgery is that we go from a stomach that held 32-48 ounces of food at one time to a pouch or sleeve that only holds between 1 and 3 ounces approximately.

At first we can't put much in that tiny tummy, but in time we learn how to eat enough food to gain weight again. Basically eating more small meals because we can't eat large meals at one time.

After revision and the end of the liquid diet, it is easy to go back to eating the same amount of food as before. Switch patients seem to do the best when limiting carbs and eating high fat diets. Getting exercise and tracking calories, carbs, fats, and other macros still is important.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Desari63
on 9/30/21 1:13 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Well I haven't gone back to the way I was eating before the 2nd surgery so that's something. I haven't had any breads, pasta, rice, etc (basically high carb foods) and I know I'm not getting more than 1000 calories a day but I'm not really counting calories, just the carbs per day (which ain't much).

I have been really good about not eating the things I should not have since I had this - I don't really want to do this again if it can be avoided...

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

catwoman7
on 9/29/21 9:30 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

if I'm calculating this correctly, to hit 150-160 lbs by December means a 70-ish lb loss between now and then. I'm not saying it won't happen - but sounds pretty ambitious for 2-3 months. The loss with SADI might be more than with the other surgeries, but with VSG and RNY, after the first month, many of us lose about 10 lbs a month, give or take, until we get a few months out (when it drops further). You'll have more malabsorption than someone with RNY, though, so you very well could lose more than 10 lbs a month, but still, 70 by December sounds like a lot. Hopefully someone with VSG to SADI will chime in, though, since they'll know better than I would.

PattyL
on 9/30/21 9:29 am

Revisions are historically slower to lose. Is this true? Who knows. Seems to be. But starting now you need to be extremely low carb if you want to have a chance to reach your goal.

I had the traditional DS and it almost never fails. That's why I got it. RNY seems to fail often and I don't know enough SADI people to say one way or another. All you can do at this point is work with what you have!

Desari63
on 9/30/21 1:17 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Well since I had the surgery, I'm actually down 13-15 pounds but it does vary. My clothes are definitely more loose on me now and I'm in my 16's pretty comfortable but even they are starting to get looser. I know that 70 pounds by the end of December is a very tall goal but if I can lose at least 40-45 of that, I'm going to be extremely happy.

Now the 1st month is almost over, I can get back on the stationary bike (started riding that because of my heart stent from 2018) so I'm hoping that will help out as well. My ultimate goal is 2 years from now to get my apron removed so I guess we'll see how that goes...

Thanks for the response and the support...Keep in touch!

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Jmm4321
on 10/1/21 9:35 pm

You seem to be doing well. You didn't gain the weight in 3 weeks and it doesn't fall off in 3. You lost more weight the first month than I did with the Sadi DS. I still dropped 150 eventually, and after 7 years, the excess weight is still off.

Give yourself a chance to succeed.

Desari63
on 10/4/21 1:38 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

I'm trying but it's really hard when I was expecting to have a revision to my sleeve as well and low and behold, I hadn't stretched it out at all. It's still the same size as when I had it done originally in 2011!!

So I'm trying to learn patience but being Italian, we have none..LOL!

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

airbender
on 10/2/21 10:02 am

I think you are doing amazingly well. You are only 4 weeks out, give your body some time to heal from the actual surgery.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Desari63
on 10/4/21 1:38 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12

Still healing but damn..LOL! Expectations are set way high and it's not happening fast enough..LO!

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 618 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 227 views