Yrs post op DS and weight gain

VllysunLW
on 8/12/22 3:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I need help and encouragement to get back to the basics. It's been 10yr since surgery and have gained weight due to covid and life stressors. Help me get back on track. Can't even remember the basics.

White Dove
on 8/13/22 2:21 am - Warren, OH

Weight gain is because we learn to eat more calories than we burn. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than we take in. Going back to basics is not the answer. It may work to lose a bit short term but it is not sustainable, You do not have a new surgery, you have matured and need to find foods that you love and eat them in the quantities needed to attain your goal weight and stay there. My personal solution is Weigh****chers. I can pick any food I want as long as I count the points. We are meant to enjoy food and eating. It is just learning how to do that while also being the correct weigh for our body. Weigh****chers knows how to do that. Read their book, The Shift. It will change so many of the misconceptions we have all learned to live with. It can show you how to eat a healthy diet that you really enjoy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 8/13/22 7:48 am
RNY on 06/03/15

thanks for this - I just put a hold on that book! (it's at our public library)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

PattyL
on 8/13/22 7:58 am

For many DSers the post op diet is very much like Atkins. No carbs. No bread, rice, flour, cereal, sugar. What we eat is mostly meat and low carb veggies. Lots of us can have as much protein and fat as we want but the first thing to cut out is grains and sugar. Try that first and see if that does it for you. Sometimes that is enough.

Do some reading about the Atkins induction diet. That is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 20 years.

If you can, buy a fitness tracker and just wear it for 2 weeks to determine your activity level. Then work on increasing it over time. If you are lazy, it keeps you aware and accountable.

Take it slow. Trying to change everything at once can be a form of self sabotage. Don't make yourself so miserable you give up.

Bobbi679
on 6/25/23 6:58 am - Ballwin, MO

Patty,

Who did your surgery ??

I had Dr Husted 20 years ago.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/16/22 3:07 pm

It may be difficult, but unless you change what you are eating, not even how much, losing weight maybe difficult if not impossible.

With the DS you probably absorb all the carbs you eat, but not all proteins or fats.

I know I'm carbs/sugar addict. I don't count my calories. Over the last couple of decades, it was proven over and over that measuring calories comes with a significant errors.

Calories are only a rough estimate of what our body gets as energy.

It's the insulin response to food and activities. For me to lose weight, and I had RNY, not DS, limiting carbs, simple carbs, complex carbs (mainly avoiding grains, legumes, fruits and any foods with that) and eating Keto/Paleo type diet helps me to lose weight. And limits my appetite, cravings, etc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

airbender
on 10/10/22 6:36 pm

great book...

target 100

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views