Five years out, rapidly gaining weight

Fire_Ice
on 9/22/22 8:43 pm
DS on 10/25/17

So I lost about 120 pounds with DS (I'm 5' 11" and was pre-diabetic with severe sleep apnea, starting weight 279 and at my lowest I was 150). My doctor expected that I would put 25 pounds of it back on. I stayed pretty consistent at 155 to 160 for the last five years. (Had my surgery at the end of October 2017.)

But literally within the last few weeks my weight has been creeping up. I started being between 160 to 165, then 165 to 170 and suddenly find myself at 175 to 180. I'm technically overweight again with my BMI at 180. 170 to 180 would put me at that 25 pounds regain that was expected to be put back on.

Is there any way to get this weight off? I'm noticing that my clothes are a bit too tight and I'm a little unhappy with the extra weight. Am I going to plateau at some point? Or am I in a downward spiral where I'm going to keep putting on weight?

White Dove
on 9/23/22 5:59 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY in 2007. I have been through regain and losing it again several times. My goal is 136, today I am 133. The only way that I have been able to lose the weight and keep it off has been Weigh****chers. Their program allows you to eat any food that you want as long as you measure and track and stay within your points. I recommend you get and read their new book, "The Shift".

We learn how to eat enough food to gain weight even with our tiny stomach and with malabsorption. I weigh daily, often several times a day. I attend online WW meetings with Zoom. I track everything I eat and drink and get plenty of exercise. After surgery I never expected to attend a WW meeting again, but now accept that it is WW or living with an extra 30 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

PattyL
on 9/23/22 10:41 am

I would go back to basics. Probably do a week of meal replacement shakes and then back to as close to no carbs as possible. Keep a food log of some sort and get a wearable fitness tracker. Won't take long to figure out what you need to change. So back to the physiology, this may be your new normal. Many of us find that we either have less malabsorbtion as our DS ages OR that we have simply let too many carbs back into our lives. Weight is a battle for almost everyone and the problem becomes harder to fight as we age as well.

stacy T.
on 9/25/22 10:42 am - San Francisco, CA

You do not have to be on a spiral but you are smart to pay attention to trends. Look to see what has changed recently. then; Up the protein and fat, lower the carbs. Increase water intake. Portion control.

You have the tool, but you have to work it.

Fire_Ice
on 9/26/22 8:08 am
DS on 10/25/17

I haven't seen anything change eating or exercising-wise. The only difference is I'm coming up on the fifth year since my surgery.

stacy T.
on 9/26/22 5:41 pm - San Francisco, CA

Well, you are five years older and metabolisms change. Since it seems like a sudden change monitoring and checking with your Dr should be high on the list, but it is also possible that age is happening. Hormone shifts begin and can affect weight, among a myriad of things. In our late 40's perimenopause can be a thing and it can have profound sudden changes on our bodies. Are you experiencing any of the other common effects?

Ccecejac
on 9/30/22 5:04 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 02/06/20

Hi Stacy,

I had Gastric Bypass two years ago! So, far, I have loss 171 pounds. I lose 2 pounds to 3 pounds a week! I continue remaining motivated with a strong positive mindset continuing being mindful of eating healthy foods which I have adapted really good.

I cannot and will not go back to the old eating habits which was the causing of me becoming obesity almost weighing 400 pounds. I was obesity for over 10 years!!! I overcome my obesity and I know others who battling obesity certainly can too! Thank the good Lord first and for giving the Bariatric Surgeon the knowledge and tools making Weight Loss Surgery Procedures to give us. Thank the Bariatric Surgeon.

I have been battling obesity over a decade it can be overcome! My true testimony I have overcome obesity! I eat blueberries ? and strawberries ð?" these the two fruits I mainly eat not a lot of sugar in these fruits. Blueberries ? helps you keep full and crave your appetite too eat less. I drink water/sparkling water. Those who had just had weight loss surgery cannot drink anything carbonated after 6 months of your surgery. But, check with your Bariatric Surgeon first always.. I eat bake chicken, vegan Pattie's taste like ground beef, salads. I just know to continue to eat my food in small portions and eat continuously in moderation that is the key factor to not gain your weight back. This is helping me to continue to maintain my weight and having great success continuing losing weight each week. If you decide to drin**** tea get the unsweetened or cranberry juice get 5 calories. The cranberry juice that says no sugar it taste to sweet for me so I just diluted with water or sparkling water! I hope sharing my story will assist you and others.

ladygodiva1228
on 9/26/22 7:50 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On September 23, 2022 at 3:43 AM Pacific Time, Fire_Ice wrote:

So I lost about 120 pounds with DS (I'm 5' 11" and was pre-diabetic with severe sleep apnea, starting weight 279 and at my lowest I was 150). My doctor expected that I would put 25 pounds of it back on. I stayed pretty consistent at 155 to 160 for the last five years. (Had my surgery at the end of October 2017.)

But literally within the last few weeks my weight has been creeping up. I started being between 160 to 165, then 165 to 170 and suddenly find myself at 175 to 180. I'm technically overweight again with my BMI at 180. 170 to 180 would put me at that 25 pounds regain that was expected to be put back on.

Is there any way to get this weight off? I'm noticing that my clothes are a bit too tight and I'm a little unhappy with the extra weight. Am I going to plateau at some point? Or am I in a downward spiral where I'm going to keep putting on weight?

Something has changed in the last few weeks. What have you been eating? How much have you been eating?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Fire_Ice
on 9/26/22 8:07 am
DS on 10/25/17

Literally nothing has changed. I'm eating /exercising exactly the same as always.

ladygodiva1228
on 9/26/22 8:10 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would be making an appointment at the doctors then. If nothing at all has changed something is going on with your body. People don't just gain weight for no reason unless there is something medically wrong or they are eating more calories.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 115 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 659 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views