Recent Posts

crispapple
on 1/30/19 4:53 pm
Topic: Hypoglycemia

I am on a fact finding mission for my wife. She had a duodenal switch quite some time ago now, and about a year back had a revision. She is suffering from - what I think is` called - reactive hypoglycemia. She is saying it used to be triggered from sugar, but now she seems to get low blood sugar no matter what she eats. Does anybody know what might be causing this condition, and if there is any way to control it?

She has been close to passing out quite a few times. Very worrying.

Thank you,

Steve

DonRobbie
on 1/30/19 1:48 pm
DS on 12/18/18
Topic: RE: Throwing Up constantly.

Bone broth might be a more tolerable way to get Protein in. Unjury Chicken soup could be another route to try. You may need to back down to liquids only for another week or two. I know that sucks (I was VERY ready to move on from liquids only) but it's better than getting dehydrated.

Eliza970
on 1/30/19 6:50 am
Topic: RE: New supplement?

I am 13 years out and have osteopenia, but menopause and age set me up for that, as well as DS. Prolia was recommended but my insurance doesn't cover it. Let me know how well Prolia works. Hope it helps.

Janet P.
on 1/30/19 6:42 am
Topic: RE: New supplement?

Nope, haven't heard of it. Softgels won't work. I take K1 & K2 but unfortunately I have full blown osteoporosis (I'm almost 16 years post-op DS). I did two Reclast infusions several years ago that unfortunately didn't work (numbers didn't go up, but they didn't go down). Just met with my internist yesterday and we're going to try Prolia.

Good luck.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 1/30/19 5:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13
Topic: RE: Eleven Years - Confused

One of the reasons I take the thyroid in the middle of the night ( Actually around 3 AM ).

Dduran
on 1/29/19 6:45 pm
DS on 04/25/19
Topic: RE: VSG to DS

Had Roux en y in 1998. Wanted a revision and physician suggested DS. Doesn't want to just do a revision of the Roux en y. Has anyone had this type of surgery

MarinaGirl
on 1/29/19 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: Eleven Years - Confused

Thyroid medication interacts with minerals such as iron, calcium, and magnesium. So make sure you take your thyroid medication at different times than them, and also if you take antacids as they often contain magnesium and aluminum.

Eliza970
on 1/29/19 12:17 pm
Topic: New supplement?

My osteopenia "buddy" asked me if I have heard about a new supplement, pyrroloquinoline quinone (PPQ). It's found in some of the same foods as vitamin K. It's avalable in softgels as well as water soluble pills, so it might or might not be especially good for DS. But in the last two years publications in reputable journals have found it may have effects in bone, brain, and heart health. I figure as long as I have this pile of supplements, what's one more? It adds another $12 to the monthly cost of supplements. She takes 20 mg, brand is Nutricost (but there are at least a dozen manufacturers and a wide range of doses). She advises to only take it in the morning because it has a stimulant effect, which is one of the reasons it improves cognition. Has any one ever heard of this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6329928/

Janet P.
on 1/29/19 10:33 am
Topic: RE: Heartburn

Thanks for clarifying. Most of us have had heartburn since the beginning (the sleeve is known for it) but if it's a new symptom and not caused by something you're eating (have you changed your eating habits), there could be something specific causing it. So if you only recently started experiencing heartburn I would check with a doctor.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 1/29/19 9:00 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13
Topic: RE: Throwing Up constantly.

It might be early like Larra suggest for protein shakes but I couldn't handle the pre-mixed shakes for most of my first year post-op. I ended up with Optimum Nutrition powder mixed with water and that was thin enough for me to handle.

You don't talk about how much you are drinking in between meals rather than with meals. Keep sipping in between meals maybe you won't feel that thirsty sensation as much.

It gets better from here.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views