Recent Posts

Fire_Ice
on 2/23/24 7:57 am
DS on 10/25/17
Topic: Need help for my mom

I already posted this over in one of the gastric bypass forums, but you all tend to have such good advice that I thought I would post here too.

My mom had gastric bypass a few months ago. Her doctor wanted her to have it because she was Type 2 diabetic and in danger of a lot of other health issues that would be solved by losing weight. She is 69 years old. Things were going well at first - she felt well, she was able to eat as needed, and was losing the weight. She is about 5'5" and I'm not sure about her current weight, but she's lost quite a bit and can now fit into like size large in women's (she was at a 2XL or 3XL before).

But recently she has become very weak and has fallen several times (which is dangerous at her age). She went in to the doctor and they were initially convinced based on scans and blood work that she she had fatty liver that had advanced to cirrhosis, and they said it was Stage 3 cirrhosis (and that her only hope for survival would be a liver transplant). The doctor also told her that she was severely malnourished, comparing her to starving kids in other countries. He said that was the cause of her weakness, along with the liver issues.

A biopsy was done on her liver and she's Stage 1 of fatty liver, which means she can turn it around with diet and exercise, and we're all very happy about that. However, she is still extremely malnourished. The doctor's solution was that she eat more protein. She has been focused on doing so ever since her surgery; now she is trying to up her intake even further. And despite trying to get as much protein as she can, her last blood work showed that her protein is at a 2, which is apparently really bad.

So a couple of questions for you - Have you heard of anyone going through something similar to this? What did they do to improve their nutrition and overall health? (Because at this point the doctor is now recommending undoing the surgery so that she can absorb protein better, but I don't want my elderly mother to undergo surgery again.)

How can she up her protein? She is already eating large amounts of protein at every meal and snacking on it throughout the day. She is also eating plenty of vegetables. I know you're not supposed to get your protein from drinking, but would that be helpful here? Just to make sure that she's getting enough? And how many grams of protein should she be eating a day?

What kind of vitamins should she be taking, and at what dosage? She is very low on like Vitamin D and B, and assures me that she's taking OTC vitamins that her doctor recommended. I know that's not good enough if you have absorption issues and gastric bypass, and I also know that doctors' recommendations (especially those who don't focus on bariatrics) often recommend way below what is needed. (Her vitamin levels are bad enough that the doctor wrote her a prescription for vitamins to take once a week.)

Any and all advice/help/suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you!

tipintensity
on 2/22/24 7:38 am
Topic: RE: I need help

Eating lots of protein-rich foods helps enhance cell regeneration and wound healing;
Eating foods rich in vitamin C (from fruits such as oranges, pineapples, strawberries...) stimulates the skin to increase connective tissue, necessary for the wound recovery process; burrito craft
Limiting eating too much salt and sugar can help reduce inflammation and prevent complications of edema.

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:18 pm
Topic: RE: Malabsorption question

suggest eating normal fat intake, don't drink the stuff, but don't go low fat. When DSers consume drastic high fats the potential for enteric hyperoxaluria is pretty high. Unless you have 24 hr urine for stones as part of your yearly lab work.. those who don't won't know till they get stones or kidney disease

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:10 pm
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help

You have secondary hyperparathyroidism due to your DS malabsorption, and it is affecting your bone health. You need a lot more dry VitD3 and a lot more Calcium citrate. message me if you want more info

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

pablito1
on 2/5/24 6:25 am
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help
On December 11, 2023 at 5:01 AM Pacific Time, Jmm4321 wrote:

You can't take too much calcium, the body won't normally absorb much more than the 1200mg you are taking. Many of us take the same. When I took less the blood work always looked normal because your bones will make up for any shortfalls, and the become brittle over time. I had to have a urine analysis over 24 hours to see that I had a calcium deficit that did not show in my bloodwork. At the time I was taking 600mg per day, now up to 1200 like you. No issues any more.

I've done a couple of ds surgeries. Now I want to start again. papa's games

tycoon4000
on 2/4/24 9:19 pm
Topic: RE: Dr Marek Lutrzykowski??

Hi, actually Dr Lutryzkowski passed away. There was a certain time you could pick up your records, I have no idea where they would be. Take care

tycoon4000
on 2/4/24 9:15 pm

Hi, I also had my surgery with Dr Lutryzkowski 02/11/2000 and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, Doc passed away, I have been searching for another Dr that is familiar with this surgery. My vitamin levels are wayyy out of whack. 24 years ago he changed my life completely, for the absolute better. Just found this site and am hopeful for any help I can find.

Member Services
on 2/1/24 7:01 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Early Bird Access is Open ? Bariatric Connect 2024 National Conference!

Early Bird Deal Alert, Only 100 Available!

Are you ready to join us at the 2024 Bariatric Connect National Conference in Newport Beach, CA, on September 20th-21st? Now's the perfect opportunity! Starting today, you can grab an Early Bird ticket - be one of the first 100 to register and save $30 on general admission. This Early Bird offer lasts until March 31, 2024, or until the Early Bird tickets sell out - whichever comes first!

Join us on an incredible two-day journey, filled with learning, sharing, and connecting. It's not just an event, it's where you'll find your people! https://bit.ly/42l42aS

tonyadams
on 1/28/24 5:21 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. John Husted

No, I haven't been doing DS surgery before. Buckshot Roulette

mariahdanielle1018
on 1/8/24 7:14 am
DS on 11/17/18

He actually retired a couple years back! Unfortunate too because I was never able to make it back up there to get all of my records :/ so who knows if they are recorded somewhere else

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views