what to do

lucylou
on 8/13/11 2:35 pm - Canada
I haven't been on the board for awhile, but I have always come to it when I feel down or need some advice or answers.

I had my RNY surgery in Jan 2008. I was 276 when I had it and got down to 149. I then became pregnant and had a wonderful baby boy in Dec 2009. I gained weight while I was pregnant and am now 194. I can't stand myself and feel like such a failure.I had post partum depression after my son was born also. I am on antidepressants for it still. I can't seem to lose this weight no matter what I do. I am going to see my doctor in Ontario in the next couple of months.

I feel like I need a revision done. It doesn't even like the "tool" is working anymore, since I had my baby. I loved the tool and it worked so well with me and I was so happy.. I got a taste of the skinnier life and loved it. I now miss it.

I am also really anemic, but I work on that everyday with the vitamins.

Do you think, I could get a revision or am I just being silly. My doctor doesn't do revisions and so I will have to go to a different doctor. I don't know what to do..

Laurie
Tri_harder
on 8/15/11 8:22 pm, edited 1/14/12 8:01 pm
Congratulations on your baby! I think you should see your surgeon for an endoscopy to see if you have a mechanical failure. If you have a mechanical failure I would seek a revision if you can find a doctor. I would have a VSG. Did you read the Restore trial that I posted? I was in the Restore trial and we all failed to lose more weight than the control group. The last paragraph sums it up. At the very least you really should be examined to see what is going on. take care, Tri
Tri_harder
on 9/6/11 11:03 am

Hi Laurie
I read this and thought of you.  I don't know what you decided to do but it is one more bit of information. 

Sincerely,
Tri

Duodenal Switch Surgery Riskier Than Gastric Bypass

The first randomized comparison of gastric bypass and duodenal switch surgery, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, shows greater weight loss and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors with duodenal switch, but at the expense of more adverse events.

Two years after gastric bypass or duodenal switch was performed on some 60 patients with superobesity (BMI, 50 to 60), most cardiovascular risk factors improved in both groups. Duodenal switch patients had greater weight loss than bypass patients (mean loss, 74 vs. 51 kg), as well as greater reductions in total and LDL cholesterol. However, they also had more adverse events (62% vs. 32%); in particular, malnutrition-related events such as night blindness, severe iron deficiency, and protein calorie deficiency occurred only after duodenal switch.

Samantha Bobbitt
on 9/13/11 11:52 am - Winston-Salem, NC
 You are lucky!  I had the RNY and it failed from the get-go!

I lost my weight on my own on Atkins.  It's not all meat like you hear.  You can have good carbs, and keep adding more on.  It does focus on protein and some veggies at first, but only at first.  I've found that many WLS people do well on Atkins.  Some do well on WW.  Just do like I did, research the diets out there and find which one is easiest for YOU to live with.

I would not go the surgery route, are you going to keep having surgeries every 5 years or so if this happens again?  It is more dangerous each time.  You have the "tool" in you.  the "tool" IS you.  It can be done on your own.  

Luck and Love and if you ever have the need, shoot me an email.

sam
Most Active