Duodenal Switch Surgery Riskier Than Gastric Bypass

Tri_harder
on 9/6/11 11:05 am

Duodenal Switch Surgery Riskier Than Gastric Bypass

The first randomized comparison of gastric bypass and duodenal switch surgery, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, shows greater weight loss and improvements in cardiovascular risk factors with duodenal switch, but at the expense of more adverse events.

Two years after gastric bypass or duodenal switch was performed on some 60 patients with superobesity (BMI, 50 to 60), most cardiovascular risk factors improved in both groups. Duodenal switch patients had greater weight loss than bypass patients (mean loss, 74 vs. 51 kg), as well as greater reductions in total and LDL cholesterol. However, they also had more adverse events (62% vs. 32%); in particular, malnutrition-related events such as night blindness, severe iron deficiency, and protein calorie deficiency occurred only after duodenal switch.

Doris Cervenka
on 9/7/11 1:47 pm - Ganado, TX
Thank you for the information.  I got the Gastric-by-Pass because. I was afraid of the Malnutrition side effects of the Duodenal Switch and many other problems. With high B.M.I.     I thought would make a mistake in having Gastric -by- Pass. Everybody on Obesity Help was suggestioning Duodenal Switch if not the weight would come back on in a year and half.  But, I had Gastric -by- Pass.   My Doctor and my sister who is a R.N. said it would be safer.  So far it been 4 month and  the weight is coming off. Lost a have lost 71 pounds.  I have mind set and a plan of action . That no matter what .  I will never allow or gain that weight back on my body.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/28/11 5:58 pm
 It's unfortunate you didn't get better information before getting cut, but you do realize that you too will malabsorb vitamins with RNY?

You won't malabsorb CALORIES forever, maybe a year give or take a few months, but vitamins, you will always malabsorb. You dodged no bullet there.
justmealso
on 5/6/12 10:14 am
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/28/11 5:55 pm
Is this an article from??? A study or ?? any  citation? 

This is pretty useless. 

Here's something that doesn't agree with that, but it's from PubMed, so I'll take it over your random bit of nothing.

Maybe it's too late for you, but here's a whole page of links to studies with real data on the DS.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 5:43 am
I've read similiar studies and had plenty of Dr.s and surgeons who I've spoken with have said similiar things. There are hundreds of studies out there, it depends which one has credits and proven studies. I've also heard from a couple Dr.s I've seen for various reasons that the DS can sometimes cause some "harsh" per say mood disorders. I'm not against the DS or anyone that has recieved it, I just decided that it's not right for me. When doing research, don't put your blinders on to others. Every surgery has ups and downs. It's what you want to take from it.
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 3:10 am - PA
Check the FACTS:

This study/article was done in NORWAY and not the US.
ALL the patients were given the same aftercare - which in itself is WRONG. 
DS and RNY require different vitamins, minerals because of the malabsorption. 

I HIGHLY reccomend you do your research on both surgeries before making any decisions. 
Most Active