I went to see the bariatric therapist

Tri_harder
on 11/14/12 11:49 am

I went to see a bariatric therapist.  I need to learn to eat a little less.  She suggested making a list of activities to do when I have eaten what I am supposed to eat and am trying to stop eating.  She also said to drink more water.  I will bring my list back next month.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Tri

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/17/12 2:51 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

I'm sure I can't suggest anything new. So far all that works for me is to eat dense protein first. It sits in my pouch like a hairball for an hour or two. Hot liquids help, but what with the "no drinking for an hour after meals" rule, that's tricky to implement.

Water?! Don't get me started on water! I used to like it, now La Pouchette won't tolerate it unless it has orange Crystal Light or orange Wyler's in it--and I always detested orange flavored drinks. Powdered iced tea is often OK with Miss Crankypouch. She also accepts chamomile tea and instant diet cocoa. 

Do you measure your meals before serving yourself? That's a habit I lost and need to regain. 

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Tri_harder
on 11/17/12 9:58 pm, edited 11/17/12 10:03 pm

In the hospital, 2 days post op in the hospital, I drank water, protein shakes and ate 3 oz. of pureed food.  I have always tolerated all food and never vomited or experienced dumping syndrome.  I can eat half a chicken and not feel like I have swallowed anything.  Eventually, I learned I was given a non invasive RNY.  I needed a revision the 2nd day after surgery.  My surgeon learned on me and changed his surgery technique after me.  I have measured food and pushed myself away from the table not feeling like I have swallowed anything.  I have added triathlon training 3 times a day.  My body will lose weight in spite of my surgery, which left me constantly hungry.  I am hoping my dietitian and therapist can teach me to eat few enough calories to maintain a bmi of 29.  I am getting kind of old for triathlons, unless I can lose a few pounds. I also expected a "pouchette" as well and was surprised after surgery not to ever have any limitations.  That is why I am so grateful for a Failed Surgery Forum.  I just hope I can do this someday soon because failing WLS for 6 years has left me with very little confidence.  It sounds like your surgery is working well and you will be successful and happy for many years to come.  Take care, Tri 

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 11/18/12 1:16 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

My gosh. On the one hand, it's great that you haven't had dumping, etc., but to have zero feeling of restriction...that indeed sounds like pure WLS fail. What has your surgeon said about it? There must be some explanation. I guess since this is still a relatively new procedure they're still learning new things about it.

I'm in awe that you exercised so hard and have such strong will power. 

I've been feeling very frustrated and defeated about not losing weight, but I have not tried as hard as you have. Triathlons?   . Walking a mile is my triathlon. 

You sound like a strong person and a persistent one. I don't know if a person can live a normal, happy life with constant hunger. That's the prospect I'm facing, too. My grehlin seems not to have been removed with the surgery as promised. It took me longer than you to regain my desire and ability to eat, but it's here and doesn't look like it's going anywhere. And no weight loss for over three months so soon after surgery ticks me off. La Pouchette is persnickity abou****er, but she enjoys any and all amounts of other foods.

I assume you have tried eating massive quantities of vegetables as filler? Also, I wonder about the no drinking after meals rule: for those of us who are still hungry, filling up on fluids might be more helpful than relying on 4 ounces of chicken to quiet the hunger.

Anyway, keep posting, and best of luck finding answers!

Tri_harder
on 11/21/12 7:24 am, edited 11/21/12 7:25 am

At 1 year post op I went to a GI doctor for a EGD and he found a 25mm stoma and large pouch etc. I was in the Restore trial (which failed).  After 6 years I was thinking about a revision but I had a horrible nightmare about someone cutting up my "luggage".  It didn't take to much to figure out the "luggage" was me....no more surgery.  I would rather be hungry or eat more often.  I really think counting calories will at least get me under 200 lbs.  I do eat a lot of veggies and they help.

Triathlon work out is actually easier than jogging because 2/3 of it is non weight baring.  10 minutes each of bike, swim and walk is easier than a 30 minute jog.

I know how frustrated you must be...been there.  Have you tried going to your bariatric dietitian?  I would think they could help you because you are such a new post op.

Good luck finding answers too.

Tri    

Most Active