My gastric bypass didn't fail me but I failed it

karenyt
on 1/12/13 1:34 pm - Renton, WA

I had weight loss surgery about 6 years ago and have regained all my weight.  I feel horrible about it and myself and I want to lose weight and feel better again.  I weighed in before surgery at 310 and lost to 160 and then Dr office and support closed down...I had my 6 month check up but closed with no referral or follow up before 1year.  I need positive support and friends who can understand but none who haven't lived thru public weight loss and public weight regain seem to relate.  my original surgery done thru local to me WISH Center.  Can anyone relate?

Tri_harder
on 1/13/13 8:28 pm

It sounds like you do not have a mechanical failure...count your blessings.  There is a an OH group called "back on track together" which is very supportive.  Most of us here have failed surgeries.  Tri

tracemb14
on 2/23/13 7:14 am - Katy, TX
I want to become a part of back on track together please

Glynn7811
on 1/14/13 7:23 pm

I had mine almost 6 yrs ago as well. Once I plateaued I got discoouraged and too comfortable.  I had hormnal issues as well. But I have decided to get back on track with the proteins and watch my calorie intake and walk walk walk.

Allen Y.
on 1/28/13 8:15 am - Garland, TX

I 2002 I weighed 581 lbs and got a VBG. In 18 months I got down to 216 LBS!. Then my parents passed away and there was marital friction because I was acting different being 'skinny'. By 2007 I was gaining weight like crazy.

In 2012 I had a revision to RNY at 561 lbs. I am now down to about 360 and loosing much slower than when I had the VBG but I am also 10 years older. 

The surgery is on our gut but the real problem lies between our ears.  The demon can be beat, you just have to make lifestyle changes and stick to them no matter what goes wrong.

Tanny
on 2/19/13 12:50 am

My WLS was about 8 years ago & I have regained my weight back. I was down to 110 lbs & now 260. I am going to try to turn back time & do what I should have done to begin with, which is play by the rules. Protein first, vitamins, exercise and don't drink while eating. I have been trying to follow the Adkins diet as best as I can & have lost 5 lbs so far. As soon as the warm weather is here I will start walking. And most importantly is finding support from others that is why I have reconnected with this site. It helps to know I am not the only one who has regained. I had testing done & found that my pouch is still small & working since my RNY. However, it is up to me to use it as a tool as I should be. I think I'm making it harder than it really is since I fell back in to a depression & a hopeless mindset re. losing my weight again. We have to shift our thinking & play by the rules & go from there. Yes, my doc also left & I had no support or further knowledge as what to do to maintain my ideal weight. I can definitely relate!! I thought I could never regain weight after surgery man was I wrong !! I hope this helps in some way. Take care !

CThrasher
on 2/27/13 2:42 am - CA
I am right there with you Tanny! I have a 35 pound weight gain...I am 5 years post op. For the past 3 weeks I have gone back to the right after surgery diet and will progress back onto solids and hopefully do it right this time. Less snacking and less carbs. I plan on going on Atkins to get back down to my lowest weight.
tipoftheiceberg
on 2/28/13 5:28 am

Bravo for admitting that you and you alone are responsible for the direction you take your life.  I think that you are one incredible person for standing up and recognizing that weight loss surgery is not the easy way out.  I am pleased to see that you have not given up. 

You would be greatly served if you found another surgeon or facility in your area to have follow up care.  Ask people who they have used.  Call your PCP, local hospital or area nutritionists if they have any suggestions about local surgeons. I can relate to regain.    I totally understand that you are feeling "bad".  ....Find a support group in your area (either at a local hospital or a "Meet Up" group.  See if there are any CHC:certified health coaches in your area.  And continue to seek support on this forum....

You are worth it....and you know it.  You would not of posted the above if you felt otherwise.

tabstattooed
on 4/11/13 1:39 am - marion, AR
I had rny in 01... Went from 231 to about 130...then 145...175...140...170...now 200+......I have had several life setbacks , not saying my surgery was a failure. I have never had a follow up because I moved far away....no local docs want to see me...they have even been rude in saying I just need to go back to Boston...I am in Memphis now...ummm that is a three day drive. I just want you all to know you are not alone and it does happen...not sure where to start to get back on track.

5ft0....sw 233,lw 133,gw 135,cw 193..........
I am not doing so good in this part of my journey...9 yrs later. :-(

jnich82
on 4/16/13 1:07 am - Batavia, OH

I had my RNY 8 years ago in late 05'. I was 426 at my highest, I got down to 300 in a year or so. I expected more weight loss. I was eating pretty well, and a lot more active. But stopped and slowly started regaining. I got pregnant with my 3rd child about 2 1/2 years after RNY. Pregnancy was fine, she was a healthy weight. But I had gained back another 50 pounds or so. And just never seemed to lose any of it. And slowly been creeping up since then.

I am now currently back up to 405. I feel horrible, I'm having a lot of pain again from herniated disks in my back and neck. I'm embarrassed to even tell people I've had the surgery because I'm pretty much the same place I started. I still eat less (even less than my 10 year old), it's hard for me to be active when I'm in pain but I was a lot more active for a while. I know the pregnancy set me back a lot. 

I did a liquid diet for about 10 days and only lost 5 pounds. Which hey, any weight loss is great, but before surgery I did liquids maybe 12 days and lost 20 (and with a lot less activity). I'm currently waiting to hear back results of a thyroid test. I'm kind of hoping it's something that simple that could help boost my metabolism back up. And I want to get back on more of a post-op diet. It's a little hard with kids and a low food budget. Trying to make my meals, and other meals the rest of the family will eat. 

But I have to do something... I can't just let myself get worse and worse. I can't imagine how I'll feel if I actually made it back up or past my top weight. I'm too close even now. God help me.

Most Active