So worn out emotionally and physically fighting weight loss

Laura R.
on 8/4/16 7:34 am - MO

Prior to weight loss surgery, I had a lot of ups and downs from diets.  None of them worked of course but I did learn a lot about eating healthier which I have continued with.

My first WLS was a vertical gastric sleeve in Sept 2011.  I was about 250-255 when I got it.  I had a very rough time healing from it and ended up having my gallbladder removed, pancreatitis, followed by pancreatitis stint and I lost the weight so fast, my body basically when into shock.  About a year out my body stabilized at about 160-165, which is a perfect weight for me... not skinny, but realistic.

About two years ago I started putting the weight back on fast even though the food / exercise hadn't changed.  So I started watching food/exercise and put on 50-60 lbs that I couldn't control.

In talking with my Surgeon, we decided to add a bypass to lessen the absorbtion of calories.  This was done in Dec 2015 and took me about three months to heal from.  But I still didn't have any weight loss which seems insane because we now added malabsorbtion. 

Because of the lack of weight loss from this second surgery, the Surgeon wanted to do an endoscopic schleropy (scarring that makes the stomach smaller).  So I did this in June 2016, a month later had zero weight loss and the procedure was more painful than I had thought.  So we did a second one a week ago in July.  This one has been especially rough.  I've been throwing up, there's more pain, but my stomach should now be the "perfect" size.  The only other option to continue down the surgery path is to increase the bypass for more malabsorbtion.

I don't understand why the weight came back and why the new surgeries aren't working and it doesn't seem like my Surgeon does either.  To top it off, he has become really restrictive with pain medicine, to the extent where I'm coping with more pain than a person should.  I understand opiods were over prescribed and lots of people got addicted.  But this is not my case and should be evident that the pain follows the procedures.

So do I continue with this surgeon that I have history with or do I take my losses and try a new surgeon or do I just stop weight loss surgeries all together.

hollykim
on 8/18/16 3:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, Laura R. wrote:

Prior to weight loss surgery, I had a lot of ups and downs from diets.  None of them worked of course but I did learn a lot about eating healthier which I have continued with.

My first WLS was a vertical gastric sleeve in Sept 2011.  I was about 250-255 when I got it.  I had a very rough time healing from it and ended up having my gallbladder removed, pancreatitis, followed by pancreatitis stint and I lost the weight so fast, my body basically when into shock.  About a year out my body stabilized at about 160-165, which is a perfect weight for me... not skinny, but realistic.

About two years ago I started putting the weight back on fast even though the food / exercise hadn't changed.  So I started watching food/exercise and put on 50-60 lbs that I couldn't control.

In talking with my Surgeon, we decided to add a bypass to lessen the absorbtion of calories.  This was done in Dec 2015 and took me about three months to heal from.  But I still didn't have any weight loss which seems insane because we now added malabsorbtion. 

Because of the lack of weight loss from this second surgery, the Surgeon wanted to do an endoscopic schleropy (scarring that makes the stomach smaller).  So I did this in June 2016, a month later had zero weight loss and the procedure was more painful than I had thought.  So we did a second one a week ago in July.  This one has been especially rough.  I've been throwing up, there's more pain, but my stomach should now be the "perfect" size.  The only other option to continue down the surgery path is to increase the bypass for more malabsorbtion.

I don't understand why the weight came back and why the new surgeries aren't working and it doesn't seem like my Surgeon does either.  To top it off, he has become really restrictive with pain medicine, to the extent where I'm coping with more pain than a person should.  I understand opiods were over prescribed and lots of people got addicted.  But this is not my case and should be evident that the pain follows the procedures.

So do I continue with this surgeon that I have history with or do I take my losses and try a new surgeon or do I just stop weight loss surgeries all together.

you gained weight because you were eating more calories than you were burning,so your body started storing the extra,again ,which causes weight gain.

what is a typical day of eating like for you?

nedsmehlp
on 9/19/16 5:25 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Laura,  Have you looked into the DS surgery?  I had a vertical sleeve and lost 182 lbs and regained 110 lbs.  I am now looking into the DS surgery.  From what I have learned about this surgery, it is the most successful surgery.  Most surgeons steer you away from this surgery because they do not do it.  Read all you can about it.  Also there is a fabulous website about this surgery.  You can PM me and I will give it to you.  Don't beat yourself up!  I have learned this with lots of help!

Most Active