Eating healthy foods at restaurants

Jazzygurl81
on 9/13/20 6:14 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi everyone, I'm working on a project and would love some feedback from everyone - especially for those of you that are 1+ year out of surgery:

1. How often do you eat out or order food delivery from a restaurant?

2. When ordering food at a restaurant or ordering restaurant food online, how difficult do you find it to know which foods they are offering that are "bariatric friendly"?

3. When you see the calorie content posted on a restaurant menu, does that influence your decision-making when ordering food? Do you find that to be a helpful resource that you'd like to see posted in all restaurants?

4. How many of you post-ops are still strict about counting calories, carbs, etc like you were in the beginning? Do you use (or at least would be interested in) a resource outside of the restaurant menu - such as a website, app, ebook, pamphlete - that helps make it easier to select healthy foods from restaurants?

5. Are you pre or post-op? How long ago did you have WLS?

Thanks for anyone who submits a response.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/21 4:10 pm, edited 8/11/21 9:10 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I don?t like restaurant foods because 1) they?re mad expensive and 2) they invariably contain 3-4 times the amount of fat I?d ever cook with at home.

This said I often eat from what they call the ? craft table ? ( catered food on a set ) .

I try to stick to proteins and salads and since I?m very self conscious about excess skin on my tummy I don?t eat very much .

It?s hard not to bring leftovers home for the ? dog ? like I used to ( that would be me lol) ... but I?m getting better parts now and don?t even feel comfortable asking for those scraps .

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/21 4:17 pm, edited 8/11/21 9:18 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I?ve never counted calories.... even before WLS .

I think the very idea of post ops eating 800 calories a day is RIDICULOUS... sorry but I have way too much experience in OA to believe anyone?s self assessed calorie count - the fatter they are the more off they are regarding what they?re actually ingesting .

Exercise works wonders but most WLS recipients seemingly find endless reasons not to make it a priority.

So does plastic surgery- and for many that?s a real imperative for increased mobility and the ability to even enjoy exercise.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/21 4:20 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I do read the calorie counts in restaurant menus and am usually properly shocked .

It's amazing that for instance a salad with full - fat dressing is actually twice the calories of a cheeseburger!

Most Active