My family does not accept my step children

netnay
on 5/4/13 3:18 am
RNY on 03/27/13

I needed a place to get this off my shoulder. I have been married 2 times and this is my husband's 3rd marriage. we have been together for going on 8 years, married 6. His family welcomed me with open arms. My daughter was their neice, granchild to them even though she isn't my husband's biological child. My family on the other hand had a hard time accepting my husband at first until I put my foot down and told them that if they don't accept him that I will no longer be in contact with them. I have noticed over the years how the treat my step children. Even though I call them my step children in this post, i don't address them as that in my life and neither does my husband. I adopted his son and he is 18 now. we have 2 daughters and a son. They don't even do for my daughter like they do for my sister's kids. They have 14 grandchildren but are only close to 2 of them. 11 of their granchildren 9 of the grand kids live with in 20 minutes of their house. I have 3 sisters and one brother. I am the one that calls them everyday to check on them and to make sure they need anything. I am only close to one of my older sisters because she knows what I am going through. She is in the same boat as me with having a blended family and her kids never spent anytime with my parents either. Even if they do something for my daughter they exclude my other 2 kids. If my daughter makes good grades on her report card they will get her a gift or money. My other two kids also makes the honor roll at school and they do even get a good job said to them. It just hurts me so bad. my brother and my oldest sister lives out of state. Only my twin and another one of my older sisters leave near me. My twin and her husband don't exactly treat my family kind either. I am close to my next to oldest sister and she loves my husband and my kids. It's just very disappointing and hurtful. i would never do this to any of my kids and grandchildren, blood or not.

'View

sanjali23
on 9/4/13 4:56 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

It was kind of hard to follow all of the family but I think I got it. I would say, speak to your family in a firm manner letting them know that it is very obvious the way they treat your other two children and that you will no longer tolerate it. Let them know that you have given them many a chances to improve and they have chosen not to. Put your foot down and tell them that until they can accept your family (all of them) you will have no other choice but to stay away from them and focus solely on your family. Best believe that if you don't make a stand for those kids they will resent you too for allowing it to take place.

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Most Active