Did you select your WLS based on your fibromyalgia?

AmyLucas
on 6/15/07 5:37 am - Jonesboro, AR
I did, I was concerned that the RNY would cause me a great deal of pain in the long run so chose the lap band. I am wondering if I made the smart choice now. I have alot of pain behind my sternum and also around my port site.  Any one else have these issues?
Pielet
on 6/26/07 1:07 pm - White Plains, NY
VSG on 07/23/07 with
I was afraid that the port would bother me so I did not choose the lap-band. I have not had surgery yet, but am planning on the VSG.
AmyLucas
on 6/26/07 10:38 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Do you mind if I ask why you chose the VSG? Was it due to the fibro?
Pielet
on 6/27/07 6:23 pm - White Plains, NY
VSG on 07/23/07 with
I chose VSG because it is the least invasive without leaving something inside. I like the idea that there was no re-routing of the organs and the complications/side effects are much lower than with the other surgeries. http://www.vsgfaq.com answered a ot of questions I had.

Also, I knew that I would not be good at trying to find the sweet spot for the fills--I would be second- and third- and fourth-guessing in terms of less or more in the band.

Let me know if you have other questions.

P.S. There are quite a few people on the VSG forum who had lap-bands and switch over for a variety of reasons. Good luck!
Ewa C.
on 6/26/07 6:24 pm - Chandler, AZ
I guess I've been lucky.  I initially had soreness and pain around the port site & my sternum, but that seemed to go away after the first month or two.  It really hasn't bothered me since, unless I eat too much. Have you spoken to your surgeon, who did your lap band, about the pain you are experiencing?  Maybe the problems you are having are not do to the fibro, but instead maybe your port is flipped, or slipped, or something like that. If you have not checked it out, you realy should.
AmyLucas
on 6/26/07 10:38 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Ava, I'm not sure if you read my profile but I would not take a dying animal to see my original lap band surgeon. I have an enormous amount of shoulder pain due to his misplacement of the band. It lays on a major nerve and it doesn't matter what I do I have that horrible shoulder pain.  I would ask him if it was normal and he refused to answer the question and totally ignored me when I would ask. I asked him every time I went in. Due to this and a few other issues with him I found a doctor closer to home that would do my fills for me. He actually did them under flouro and saw that the band was placed badly and the only way to fix it is to go back in and have it re positioned.  I have actually considered going back and having a revision because of this and the fact I have so much pain around my port and also behind my sternum. That and I have to be extremely careful (more than the normal) on what I can eat due to the shoulder pain being worse with somethings and not so bad with others.
Ewa C.
on 6/27/07 3:17 am - Chandler, AZ
Wow.  Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I would definitely consider having the revision done, but NOT removing the lap band.  It's been proven that weight loss is very helpful in the lessening of fibro problems. Good luck.  Let me know if you decide to do the revision.  You are also welcome to keep in touch with me, if you want.
Pielet
on 6/27/07 6:18 pm - White Plains, NY
VSG on 07/23/07 with
I would love to hear the info about weight loss lesseening the FM problems. I figured this would be true, but didn't know there was research.
bellespre
on 6/27/07 7:47 pm - Tupelo, MS
I would like to know about how wls effects fibromyalgia.
AmyLucas
on 7/7/07 1:54 pm - Jonesboro, AR
Hi Belle, I wanted to let ya know some of the info I found.. I started a new thread so go check it out. Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics