Fm and Curves

mariamahoa
on 9/14/07 4:30 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
I was thinking of joining Curves but my physio is apprehensive.  Does anyone go to Curves and do they find it helps them?  I have just started doing weights at home.  I think my physios biggest fear is that he sees people doing exercises incorrectly and that can cause more harm then good.  Appreciate your feedback........ Have a super Friday!  Gale...   

HW 238 SW 215 GW 140
or lower 5'6"
Lynn P.
on 9/18/07 11:56 pm - Houston, TX

Hi Gale,

I don't know anything about going to Curves.....but I do go to the YMCA and work out.  My best advice for you is to pay attention and really listen to your body.  Don't push yourself or over do things or you WILL pay dearly for it.  Make sure you do plenty of stretching exercises before you get on the machines.  Drink plenty of water too.  And bring your meds...you will need them afterwards. And bring a headset with music to listen to while you workout.  I found tha****er aerobics work better for me but I have to do them at my own pace. 

Hugs,

Lynn

AmyLucas
on 9/20/07 6:18 am - Jonesboro, AR
Gale, I am with Lynn on this one. Listen to your body! I know I have a bad habit of over-doing it. I feel good enough for one day and have so much to get done and then over do it, and then spend a week or more trying to recover from the one day I felt good.  I can't personally do curves. I had knee surgery in 2005 and it never healed properly and the other knee needs surgery but I refuse cause of the first operation problems. I am not suppose to walk stairs or long distances (which sucks) so I can't do some of the exercises they have in their rotations.  Water aerobics is what I was told to do. It maybe something you should look into.
mariamahoa
on 9/20/07 7:43 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
Thanks for the info.  I think I will stick to my water aerobics twice a week and yoga and continue with walking.  I just don't think my body could handle exercise equipment especilly gien how I feel today.  I have a good day and think I can conquer the world but I am reminded pretty quick about my illness.....oh crap...... Take care, Gale   

HW 238 SW 215 GW 140
or lower 5'6"
AmyLucas
on 9/20/07 7:52 am - Jonesboro, AR
I didn't ask, but have you been to curves before? The set up is, you have stations. Each station is different, working a different part of your body. You spend a few minutes in each station and it prevents over working that particular area.  However, they do use equipment and step ups and I think the one I used to go to had a slide thing also. That was years ago though.   I think sticking with your water aerobics is the best plan.. if you aren't losing like you want, just add a few more minutes or some different exercises in the water.
MelanieInPortland
on 10/12/07 7:15 pm - portland, OR
Curves was really hard on my body.  Some of it was because the places on my body that the equipment made contact.  I think also because the equipment is meant to be used quickly, as you go through the rounds.  It just seemed like it really irritated my pressure points more than other gyms.  Good luck.  Water aerobics are probably ideal as far as being low impact while you have access.  Be good to your body.  :) Melanie

305- high, 298- wls consultation 2/07, 279-surgery date, 257 current
http://bandsurgery.blogspot.com/ : my blog with pictures

Most Active
Recent Topics