Lyrica anyone?

Dawnyel B.
on 2/8/12 12:23 pm - Whittier, CA
I had WLS in 2007, and I was diagnosed with Fibro last month. I was put on Lyrica 50mg 2x a day and that worked for about 2 weeks, then I upped it to 50mg 3x day. Was wondering if lyrica is to blame for my inability to loose weight no matter how many calories I cut.

dianeg49
on 2/8/12 2:00 pm
I take Lyrica 50 mg. 3 times a day. I have asked this same question many times. I also take 12 other meds. My doctors say it my make it slower but keep working you will lose it. But I feel the meds do slow us down.
Dianeg49            
knitteakitty
on 2/8/12 9:42 pm

I don't know how it affects the weight loss, but I found 2 problems for me on Lyrica, I was hungry ALL the time, even more than usual.

The second problem, and the one that caused me to discontinue the Lyrica (under doctor's supervision), was that it gave me massive anxiety.

I would say keep an eye on the hunger, and your mood. I know I wished I could have continued, because it was tremendously helpful for the pain.

Hislady
on 2/9/12 8:10 am - Vancouver, WA
Yes Lyrica absolutely causes weight gain, it says so right in the brochure that comes with it. I took it for a minute but immediately gained weight. I switched to Cymbalta which has worked just as well without the weight gain, however most antidepressants can cause weight gain so you just have to try them till you find one that works for you. Good luck!
DMajor99
on 2/17/12 3:34 am

My RNY was in Aug 2006 and I 164 lbs.  I've been on Lyrica for 4 years.  At first I developed a rash and had to discontinue for awhile, but then tried again and it worked.  I take 200mg twic a day and it has helped.   I was on Cymbalta before and loved it, but eventually developed upset stomach when I took it.  Now on Zolft and it seems to do ok, but I liked Cymbalta better.
The hunger you feel with Lyrica may pass - it did with me. 
Hope this helps!

dianeg49
on 2/26/12 12:31 pm
The hunger is a problem. But the weight gain supposedly just lasts for a few weeks and the your body evens out and does not gain from it. I still take it cause it is the difference between getting out of bed in the morning or pulling the covers back up over my head. I also take Zoloft with it.
Dianeg49            
loretta cowels
on 2/26/12 8:32 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
I was on lyricia for 2 years gained 80lbs. The meds helped but the extra weight caused me more problems. I had to quit taking it when i became pregnant I lost 100lbs while i was pregnant from stopping it. I told my doctor i would not go back on thid med. But I also have gained the weight back that i lost. And i havnt had wls yet.
newfie-mama
on 2/29/12 12:13 pm - St. John's, Canada
 I was put on Lyrica a year and a half ago and I was at that time going to the gym 5 days a week for 1 1/2 hrs a day plus two zumba classes and in three months I packed on 30 pounds. I almost went crazy could not understand why. I also found that in the evenings I would get this massive cravings for sugar and I am not a sweet person so it was strange for me. All I could think about was sugar. Finally I was telling a friend about it and she told me the same thing happened when she went on the lyrica. So I went back to the doctor and told her what was going on and she pulled me off it. Here I was working like hell to get the weight off to help the fibro and the drug the had me on packed it on. Groannnn

Most Active
Recent Topics