IBS worse after RNY

JennLyric
on 8/20/12 1:09 pm
 Hi Everyone:

As a fellow Fibro sufferer, thank you for being on these boards.

I've had terrible IBS for as long as I've had fibro (almost my whole life).  I had RNY surgery on June 29, 2012.  I don't feel as if anything is wrong structurally, but I do feel like my IBS is taking over my life.  Anything I eat turns into gas and horrible pain.  It's the same gas/pain I've had my whole life, except I used to get these attacks about once a month.  Now it's about 5 times a day.  I'm using GasX, tried Carafate (made it worse), doubled the Prevacid.  My doctor is working with me on this.  We got rid of dairy as well.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had a worsening of IBS symptoms since surgery.

On a good note...I'm still here, down 40 pounds and feel fine otherwise.  

Thank you for reading.

Jennifer
tatt2sandy
on 8/21/12 7:09 pm - Caledon, Canada
IBS sucks! I have fibro and also suffer from IBS. I have not had weight loss surgery yet and I am not completely familiar with the post op diet. I thought I would share anyway.  A gluten free diet is great for fibro.  I have been working with a holistic nutrionist and went gluten free.  I have had amazing results.  When I get lazy and start eating breads etc, the IBS returns and brings with it all the gas,pain and cramping etc.  Good luck, hopefully this might help.
Hislady
on 8/27/12 4:00 pm - Vancouver, WA
I'm nor familiar with IBS so not much help but the OP sounds like she's on to something. I've heard of lots of people getting improved bowels from going gluten free. Good luck to you!
JennLyric
on 8/27/12 6:14 pm
Thank you so much.  I've been taken off of all dairy and it has helped.  I'm noticing that stress really contributes to the IBS even more than any food.  I've had a pretty good few days, so maybe I'm coming through the worst of it.  I wish that RNY cured fibro!!!

With it all, not regretting the surgery.

J
Most Active
Recent Topics